Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a good Access Bible.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashc123

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
US
What is the best and easiest to understand book on Access. Looking for one that a beginner can understand and also have all the advanced stuff in it. Any suggestions?

I've recently asked the same question to a few people. I was told that the Access Bible (34.99 at Amazon.com) was too simple, but the Access 2000 Programming for Dummies is good. I ordered a two book deal from Amazon for about 30.00, with Access 2000 for Windows for Dummies and Access 2000 Programming for Dummies. I haven't got them yet, but I've been told they're very good. I've used the "Bible" series books before and I like them, though.

Hands down,

Access 2000 Developer's Handbook Volume 1 and 2 by Getz, Litwin & Gilbert

It's pretty advanced; if you're fairly new to Access, you may want to supplement it with some introductory books.

I also concur with JamesMeadlock Access 2000 Developers handbook is excellent, however I found whilst learning that the book by Alison Bailey (sorry cant remember the name) was also damned good, and made an excellent reference book. Again it does depend on what you are trying to achieve, and how much VBA you intend to write.

Certainly the two in harmony should answer 90% of all your queries.

Check these threads

Thread181-141117

Thread181-130102

I've been teaching myself Access since about April, and the books I used helped me tremendously. First, I went through "Teach Yourself Microsoft Access 2000 in 21 Days" by Paul Cassel and Pamela Palmer. That's a great primer on the very basic concepts of a database and Access.

Then, I read through the aforementioned "Access 2000 Developer's Handbook," which helped me with some more advanced concepts and taught me some neat VBA tricks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back