Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a easy to use utility to read core files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

E3p0

Technical User
May 31, 2001
US
I would prfer to copy them to my Win 2000 pc and read them but on the solaris box is fine too. What is a good tool for this? Thanks

Never be afraid to ask for help!

use "file core_file_name" to get which application dumped the core.
or u
se "strings core_file_name" to get some more details.

what other details u want to study in the core file?

Its no good reading a core file if you don't know what it means but, if you need to study one on a win32 platform just do:

strings name_of_core_file > /tmp/my_latest_core_file

Then ftp it to your win32 box and use wordpad, PFE or something suitable to veiw it.

BE CAREFULL CORE FILES CAN CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT YOU MAY NOT WANT OTHER PEOPLE TO SEE so allways protect them with strong permissions (or do not create them at all)!!!

Remember a core file is the contents of your memory at the time of a core (crash) event this could contain passwords, phrases, usernames .......

Good Luck,
Laurie.

If you are just wanting to know what program caused the core, then use:

strings /path/to/core | grep "^_="

but if you are wanting more details, you can use either adb or mdb to analyze the core file.

Regards,
Chuck

I believe our ColdFusion is causing the core, but I wanted to see if there was any useful information in the cores that were generated, and be able to identify the source of the core file since our Unix admin has the all core files goig into one directory.

I will try what you all have suggested thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back