Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a Cat-6 Tester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsplusone

Vendor
Mar 30, 2004
US
I'm shopping for a Cat-6 Cable Tester, and would like to get some opinions of what other installers are using. What's the best out there? Easiest to use? Pros & cons?

I need one that integrates with a label printer for the cables, faceplates & patch panels. Also, I need to download data to generate and print out reports. Is a separate "cable management" software program needed? If so, which would integrate with the tester?

I appreciate any advice I could get. Thanks!

Yes, the Fluke DTX is nice. We've got the Agilent FrameScope which I like, but that includes network fuctions, the WireScope is cable testing only. Anyway, I like the Scopes function, including the touch screen. The DTX is probably going to be the most expensive at this point as its the newest on the market. Plus that 9 second Cat6 test is gotta be nice. It's about 50 seconds for the FramceScope.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

Thank you both for the helpful information! I will check out your recommendations.

It'll depend on your situation. The WireScope 350 is a lot easier on the wallet, but the Fluke DTX series is absolutely INCREDIBLE! We still have occasional problems with the Agilent test result management software for the WireScope but nothing too serious. I've used Fluke's Linkware with our old DSP 4000's and the new DTX without any problems whatsoever. If money's no problem, buy Fluke. If it's a concern, I would look more towards the WireScope. It just seems like that product has died for Agilent though. Software updates are extremely rare for it these days. I would expect that they'll introduce something new within the next year or so.

what i like most about my wirescope 350 made by agilant technologies is the ease of use. If you have to certify a network with cable manufacture wirescope has a cable library built in. Also touch screen,Fiber probes. I could go on. I'm not a salesmen just a user but i love this tester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back