Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a book to learn VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
Hello,

I am looking for book reviews on books to learn VB. My background: I am an ex controller that slowly got sucked into IT and I have a logical mind, but little programming experience. I have worked with numerous report writers such as Crystal Reports and R&R Report writer, and I have done a bit of programming in MS Access, as well as fortran and cobol 20+ years ago.

Please let me know oyur thoughts for a good book, or even some online classes, in this area.
Software Support for Sage Mas90, Macola, Crystal Reports, Goldmine and MS Office

dgillz,

One series of books I always looked past when I strolled through the bookstore is the "for Dummies" series.

I also wanted to learn a little vb6, noticed a copy of 'Visual Basic 6 fer Dummies', decided to give it a try, and bought it. Very good choice I might add. Unlike most other programming books I've seen, this one is actually fun and enjoyable to read - very legible to the newbie...

With the help of this book, I've become a fairly good programmer(in my eyes) in only a couple months - and when I say months, it's not really as long as it sounds. I finished the book in a little under a week and I loved it.

'Visual Basic 6 fer Dummies pt.1' basically starts you out with basic basic :) code, and mainly shows you how to werk all the main controls and their associated properties - which is a very basic, but an important aspect to vb programming.

So if your looking fer an easy-to-read book to just get started on, i'd have to recommend this one =)

-null

when i want a book, i allways use the internet to find the one i want, and it usually works...

Visit and do a search on "Visual Basic 6.0 Books".

This will find hundreds of sites with Visual Basic Book Reviews.

You can even download some.

P.S:
Buy a copy of "PC PLUS MAGAZINE", its got a great programming section.

Two good choices that we use in our curriculum (I teach VB at a Community College) are "An Introduction to Programming Using Visual Basic 6.0" by David I. Schneider (ISBN 0-13-936428-5) and "Programming in Visual Basic 6.0" by Julia Case Bradley and Anita C. Millspaugh (ISBN 0-07-233513-0). If you already have the background in program planning and such, I recommend the latter.

--tbuch

You may be interested by my reply to a similar question in Thread222-60462 or thread222-68187

Of course any recommendation is based on a personal experience with the said books....

I have found "Practical Visual Basic 6" by Bob Resselman and Richard Peasley go be a very good book. It have lots of good examples in the basics and some advanced material. The ISBN is 0-7897-2145-7 and the publisher is QUE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back