Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Look up at table level vrs. row source

Status
Not open for further replies.

sblanche

Technical User
Jun 19, 2002
US
I have a DB that I designed 10 years ago. We need to redesign. We have about 10 fields that have some simple look up values. An example would be the type of case. They are either C, L, A, or M. I may at one point add more types, but for now it's the 4. Instead of putting those picks at the table level on the LOOKUP tab, I put them on the forms in the "row source". I'm trying to remember my logic on why I did not put at the table level since if I add another type of case, I will have to go to each form that has the "CaseType" and add it there instead of just one time at the Table level. Any suggestions on why one place is better then the other would be most helpful Using Access 2010. thank you very much--

Thank you so very much for the link to "the evils of Lookup Fields in TAbles". I have people pushing me to move the "pick lists" from the Form "row source" to the table "lookup" tab. I knew there must have been a reason I designed it that way in the first place but after 10 years I could not remember why. Thanks again--

One of the issues is people like to edit records in table datasheet views. IMO, users should never be presented with a table. All interaction should be through forms where you can create/use combo boxes.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back