Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Look for network bandwidth statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithdna

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
AU
HI all,

We are currently evaluating potential ERP solutions for our organisation. A major limiting factor for our company is our WAN links, we are trying NOT to use any citrix/terminal server type solution. So I would like to know what the real-world network performance is for oneworld XE.

Thanks,

I don't think you would want to use OneWorld fat clients over a WAN. It soulds like you might want to look at html clients (client just needs a browser), and OneWorld Web Server solution.

It has been my experience that normally web clients from any product tend to use a lot more bandwidth than a fat client - the fat client only has to send data, whereas the web client must send both data and screens.

I've found OneWorld to be a very database intensive application... If your web, enterprise, and DB servers are local to each other, html clients should work well.

I don't have any specific bandwidth stats... is there anything on the web site?

Basically

I haven't seen any good studies on network bandwidth for JDE. But for grins, we ran an Data Integrity R007021 via FAT client I believe with 3 millions records which ran for 2 hrs and used a simple network bandwidth tool (gosh I forget name) which recorded almost 1 Gig of data transferred over that time period over a 100 MB segment. We need to do more testing in our lab but that is the beginning

OneWorld Senior CNC Consultant
Sockets
tiradoj@yahoo.com

We also are looking into JDE solutions, so my opinions are based on research, not experience. Having said that, my impression so far is that OneWorld's HTML client consumes major bandwidth, perhaps due to the use of client side Java instead of server side Java. If my information is correct, your workable options with JDE in a WAN (or any) environment are either Citrix clients or fat clients. While this may or may not be an exageration, I have also heard that one developer on a WAN connection can consume an entire T1.

Another thing to consider is that JDE will not support you if you are developing on a WAN.

I can say from experience that a FAT client even going across multiple T1s is slow and unreliable. And that was a 10 to 15 mile stretch between buildings. Your best bet is to do Citrix. It's not cheap, but it is the best at this point. With the WEB client not fully functional and a tad bit slower than the others, you probably don't want to invest a whole lot of money in it yet.

I hope this helps you.

Dan

Hi

We use Citrix for WAN. For development over WAN we have a Fat client at Local which the remote developer access using PC Anywhere over the WAN link.

We want to explore using HTML client for WAN access. I would like to hear from users that already implemented HTML client.

Regards,
SL Wong.

1) JDE has done and published studies on bandwidth utilization for Win32 clients, Win32 clients with MBFs mapped to the server, Citrix, RDP, Java Client (deprecated), and Web Client. These studies compare client to server bandwidth utilization, server to client bandwidth utilization, and round trips between client and server.
2) The results of the studies show clearly that the Web Client is the choice for low bandwidth and/or high latency networks.
3) Additional studies have been done for HTML compression utilities to further reduce bandwidth requirements.
4) Development is not supported with the Web Client or Citrix. There are a couple of techniques that can be used successfully to handle remote developers.

You should contact your J.D. Edwards rep or your business partner for answers to these questions. This is a common scenario and a common question--I'm surprised at the confusion surrounding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back