Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Look at picture and tell me what Ram this is! Thanks! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pboidi

Instructor
Jan 16, 2003
CA
Hello all you guys out there, i would like to know what kind of Ram is the one you see on this picture ( ). this ram is on a computer that I have just got in my house and I would like to add more memory to it. Can you please help me? thank you!

Paolo

SDRAM (DIMM). Could be 100 or 133MHz. Jim

Please come back and let us know if your
problem is fixed and what fixed it!! [thumbsup2]

thank you! how do i know if it is 100 or 133? is it indifferent for the motherboard if i get 100 or 133?

Paolo

I would guess at 133 because of the position of the clamp slots on the sides of the module. 100 clamps were usually lower down the module.

as cdogg said to me earlier:
You are correct. The memory bus will run at 100MHz and PC133 is backwards compatible.

Typical problems with PC133 on older PC100 motherboards deals with density. Newer PC133 chips (128MB and higher) are usually more dense and/or single-sided. If you have problems seeing the entire amount, then that's probably why.

If you have other problems like not being able to see it at all, then that's a different issue dealing with compatibility. Generic RAM isn't usually tested to run at slower speeds thus affecting stability.

So you may as well just buy some 133.

Good Luck! Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well.

According to all the sites I just looked at it is PC100.

Regards. I am not a number. I am a free man!
(6)

thank you guys, you have really helped me! later,

Paolo

Actually, it appears that it is 66MHz not 100MHz. The code TC-10 on each module stands for the speed code which represents 66MHz in this case.

I could be wrong, but I'd double-check that before assuming it's PC100.

Here are two sites I found when searching for sy8472v and sites about memory speeds:

(this is the site where you'll notice that "sy8472v revision a4" is listed under 168-pin DIMM and not 168-pin PC100)

worth a look anyway...[wink]

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

well done guys.. Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back