Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Longhorn question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
I am not sure where to post this question. I did not see a forum for Longhorn. Anyway...The next Windows OS, AKA Longhorn, does anyone know what the minimum requirements at this time will be for it?

James Collins
Systems Analyst
A+, MCP, MCSA, Network+

Buthercon,

The hard question is to answer the question "Why" should I make the hardware and software changes to support Longhorn.

The only reasonable approach is to look to your applications. Will our apps work as we expect?

John Barnett suggested earlier in this thread to revert all machines to known base version of the OS. I think I could convince John to upgrade to XP. (Maybe)

It should be completely application driven as to your choice of OS.

With a tight budget, I would argue for leaving things as they are.

Its not me you have to convince to upgrade, its the powers that be.

John

bcastner,

I agree with you and several other posters on this. we should stay put. I can tell you the PC Deployment team (Which consists of myself and one other person) has voiced this concern. We should stay put. I can tell you that is not what we are going to do. The decision has been reached in IT to move to longhorn when it is released. Our apps will be adjusted for it or upgraded. As I have stated, my task is to find the requirements and come up with a strategy to meet those requirements on all PC's. I really appreciate the opinions off all of you, they are valid. But it looks like the collective mind has been made up for this company. Now begins the battle for compliance.

James Collins
Systems Analyst
A+, MCP, MCSA, Network+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back