Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Longggggggg pause while loading WIN.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

gshuster

Technical User
Jun 10, 2000
CA
This problem has plagued me through win95, Win98, & Win98 SE.

When booting, everything goes OK, but when win.com is run, there is a good 60 "pause" during which nothing happens. Then windows loads normally. Bootlog only shows the long pause before the first driver is loaded by win.com, so is not much help.

If I use Fixit 2000 to improve the efficiency of the registry, the machine boots OK with no delays, but only once. After that, the delay returns. I can't see any difference in the registry before/after.

Boot directly to DOS is OK. Manually run win.com and the I get the pause.

Any ideas? or is it just my cranky old 486-dx2/66? [sig][/sig]

Just a thought, is the turbo on or off? I was working on a 486/66 just a few weeks ago, ended up doing a full reinstall of win98se because it was so slow..... I should have paid more attention when windows estimated that it would take 4000 minutes to install the o/s when it took less then half an hour to install it the first time months ago. About half way through the install process, I noticed the turbo light was out, so I pressed the button turning it on and the beast roared to life and finished the install very quickly....

[sig]<p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Thanks for hte suggestion, but turbo was on. Actually I tried it bpoth ways & no difference.

I have the same long boot pause even if I boot into safe mode. [sig][/sig]

Same problem with my compie. Maybe &quot;faulty&quot; NIC driver. I have a 3Com 10/100TX card. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back