Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long wait times for login prompt from XP client

Status
Not open for further replies.

utoyo

Technical User
Mar 5, 2005
US
Windows 2003 server, AD domain. One of the XP clients (SP2), has a problem where after pressing Alt,Crtl,Del it takes a really long time for the login screen to show up. (It just shows the desktop until the login screen shows up). The machines are directly networked.

Any ideas what could be causing this delay in the login screen coming up? I'm thinking it has something to do with name resolution but I'm not sure.

Thanks in Advance.

The only time i have experienced this issue was when a xp client was removed from one domain and added to another.

There could be all sorts of reasons from hardware issues to the network cable itself.

Process of elimination i'm affraid, start at layer one and work your way up.

I'm pretty sure there is no hardware issue as access to the internet and other resources is fast once past the login screen.

What did you do to solve the problem when you had the machine that you removed from a domain and added to another?

In short, reimaged it.......takes 8 minutes, a lot longer then delving into the system to try and find the cause(s).

I'mn assuming that the logon is from a machine already started and sitting idle?

If it's from a reboot / startup it may be that there are processes running during the PC startup, virus scanning etc.

Yes, the login is in from a machine that is already started and sitting idle. Often, times it a machine that has been locked for the night or lunch.

Check your primary DNS, should be your server not a public one. I take it your DC is also a DNS server. In your DHCP scope or static IP asignment, this machine should be your primary DNS server. You can remove public DNS assignment and set up DNS forwarding to the public addresses with the DNS MMC .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back