Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long URLs in OUTLOOK emails are fragmented into several lines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

samambaia

Programmer
Jan 11, 2003
BR
Hi,

When I send a very looooong URL in an OUTLOOK email,
the email receiver tells me that
the URL is "fragmented" into several lines.

------------------------------------------
Example:
more letters

is received as:

SaVeryLoo
oooongURL.....ma
ny more letters

(see? the URL is fragmented into several lines!)
---------------------------

And, of course, when the email receiver clicks on one of these URL fragments, the browser will: "404 -Page not Found"!

Copying and pasting each fragment into the Location field
of the browser, (to "re-assemble" the fragments into a single clickable URL), will not always work and is laborious.

Any easy solution out there?
Thanks!

Sam,

I use a free website called Snurl.com. Snurl is short for SNip URL. You go there when you need to send someone an impossibly long URL like the ones you mentioned. Here is an example. I sent my brother a link to a digital camera on Amazon.com.

======== Begin example ========

(snurl.com is a very cool, free service that SNips URLs that are impossibly long, like the ones at Amazon, and turns it into a redirect that takes you to the correct long url. As you can see, snurls are much easier to paste into an email.)

======== End example ========

Go ahead and paste the URL as shown in the example to your browser's address bar. Hit enter or press GO (for IE) and you will be automatically redirected to the right page on Amazon. For more details or to create your own snurl, just truncate the example URL to the main site and read how it works. It has saved me from a few headaches to be sure, and is very easy to use.

C Fray

I'm new to the list today, but I do have an answer to this particular issue. Outline the link with &quot;<&quot; and &quot;>&quot;. It won't matter if the link is continued over several lines.

Example: <thread605-445875 use Outlook, nut this should work in any email program and with any browser.

My post was incomplete -- dont know why. Anyway, enclose the URL in left and right brackets (<URL address>), with no spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back