Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long time to load report 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetRamsey

Technical User
Oct 22, 2010
US
I'm currently using Crystal Reports 14 and was using CR8 before. When opening reports at times, it can take over a minute for some reports. The report does not run a refreshed query and many of the reports do not have "Save Data with Report". I don't understand why some reports open quickly and others take a long time.

While doing some reading, someone suggested to select "No printer", which does not seem to help.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Not sure this will help but it is worth a try.

Open the report and do a Verify Database (Database => Verify Database), then resave the report. Also, make sure that if the report does have a printer associated with it, that it is a valid printer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Pete.

The Verify database and changing back to printer did not work. I timed the report at 2 minutes and 3 seconds to open. :(

Just curiosity.

It’s opening in Preview or Design mode?
The same report opened in version 8 faster than in the new version?

Codrutza, They are normally in preview mode. I just did a few checks and taking it out of preview mode and saving it does not make a difference.

Peter,
Some have subreports.

Report might take minutes to load if there is a timeout. Very often the timeouts are set to 30 second or a minute and combining few may easily go to 2 -3 minutes. My guess is that the advice for "No Printer" is because somebody discovered that a report was reading settings for a specific printer, which was missing in the network and was not loaded until the timeout for finding the printer expired. So setting to "No printer" will remove the reason for the timeout and the report will load faster. Other reasons for timeout are subreports with flag "reimport when opening". When this option is checked Crystal will save the path to the subreport and will try to reimport it each time you open the report. If you move the report to a new location and subreport file is not available there will be a timeout before Crystal to decide to continute without reimporting the subreport. So check each of the subreports if the flag is checked. Another possible reason is a corrupted connection. In general Crystal engine should check the connection before to run the report, but I have seen cases when it tries to hit the database when the report is opened. This happened with some Crystal 8 reports, which were set to use Integrated security and later the connection was changed. If the database set in the report is not available there will be another timeout. I guess this could be fixed if you try to wipe the connection settings and recreate them. Try the subreports first and if you are still having issues with slow loading let me know . I will be interested to see one of these reports and I might be able to help with some tools to read the report information.

Viewer and Scheduler for Crystal reports, SSRS and Dynamic Dashboards.

Peter, I checked subreports, turned the "Re-import Subreport on Open" flag on and off, but it did not change the speed for opening the report. I seleceted verify database. It stated it was up-to-date. I save the report, opened it again, butthere was no time improvement. To track this down, I am testing a different report that does not have subreports. It takes about a minute and 20 seconds to open. The "No printer" is selected. I've tried a couple of different settings, but no luck in opening the report in a more timely manner.

Are you using UFLs or OLE objects ?
Try to change the database connection using "Set DataSource Location" dialog. Best will be if you change also the type. For example if you are using an ODBC connection try to change it to an OLEDB or another ODBC. Then you can set it back to the original one. Just try to overwrite the connection information.
We have internal tools that might be helpful in your case. I will be interested to exam one of these reports. If this is OK, you can contact me using this page:
Viewer and Scheduler for Crystal reports, SSRS and Dynamic Dashboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back