Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Text String on Circular Path 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gufuda

Technical User
Nov 30, 2006
US
I'm not sure how to word this but I'll do my best. I have a long string of numbers like

00:01
00:02
00:03
00:04
00:05
...etc

this is quite a long list that I want to go around the perimeter of an ellipse, but I want them positioned like there are here, not in a string. So type on a path doesn't work and manipulating type in an area doesnt work. I need the text to go all the way around the ellipse. Here is a link to better clarify( sorry I'm not at home and all I have is paint). The lines are how I want the text to look.

Thanks, hope someone can help me!

Qufuda:

Here's an example of a method you could use (you'll need to fiddle with settings to get it just right):

1. Draw a vertical path, copy and paste it to the right until you have the correct number of paths to match the number of numbers you have to wrap around the ellipse. Draw a rectangle, no fill, no stroke, and put it BEHIND the paths. Make it a little longer than the total width of the vertical paths (exactly one space width):

thread1.jpg

2. Make this path into an ART BRUSH, and apply the art brush to a COPY of your ellipse:

thread2.jpg

3. Expand the brush, and throw out the ellipse path, keeping only the sideways paths:

thread3.jpg

4. Leave the paths selected, and go to Type>Threaded Text>Create. The result will look like this:

thread4.jpg

5. Get the Type tool, and start typing a number on one of the paths. When you hit "Enter", the type tool will shoot to the next path in line, type another number and so forth:

thread5.jpg

6. The result will look like this. As you can see, with a little modification you can easily enter your numbers along the ellipse:

thread6.jpg

HTH

Bert

yes, thank you very much. i havent gotten to try it yet, but it looks perfect. very nice explanation and thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back