Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long pauses when opening Windows Explorer, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotH

MIS
Dec 13, 2001
US
I have Win2K Pro running on a fast computer with 256 MB RAM, but I frequently experience a long pause between launching Windows Explorer (or Outlook, or anything else)and having the window appear. The problem does not happen every time. If I click repeatedly on the Windows Explorer icon on the shortcut bar, I find that Win Explorer pops up immediately in most cases. About every 15 seconds, however, there is a pause of about 5 seconds before the Win Explorer window appears. The computer is virus free. I have Office 2000, Internet Explorer 5.5, and the NetWare client setup on the computer. Other users with nearly identical configurations have experienced the same problem. If anyone has a configuration change to recommend, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sounds like a network issue. Basically, when you open Explorer, your network drives are loaded and it won't open until they are ready. Since you have other users with the same problem, I would look at server issues and the way you are mapped. You may have collisions on the network causing this slow response. Try disconnecting all your mapped network drives and see what response you get. If it is fast, it's a network issue. If not, most likely a memory issue.

I logged in locally and found that Win Explorer consistently opened quickly. Now that it's clear that having mapped drives slows down response time, any suggestions on how to speed up response time with the drives mapped?

When you mapped the network drives did you select to Reconnect at Logon? If you don't need the drives until you select them you could change this option and it may speed things up for you.

Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back