Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long ethernet cable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

woliwol

Programmer
Mar 20, 2001
CA
Hi!

I want to connect two computers by ethernet, in order to share a DSL internet connection.

I am thinking of a peer to peer connection, no hub (for the moment).

My computers will be eventually located some distance away, so I bought a 40 meters (130 feet) ethernet cable.

I have configured the IP addresses. Firewalls are switched off for the moment.

When I connect the two computers, they don't see each other (no ping). The LED indicators on the networks cards do not blink.

When I change the cable for a much shorter one (5 meters), I get a ping, and I can see each computer in the "network neibourhood".

The 40m cable simply don't seem to work. What can be the possible cause? It is a brand new cable, so I assume it is not a bad contact.

Do I need two shorter cables with a repeater?

Thank you for helping.

Wol

Is your "short" cable a crossover?
Put the 2 RJ45 connectors side by side and check that whether the wire configuration is the same at both ends.
I suspect not.

Hi,

thinking you use a Cat 5 UTP cable, the maximum distance without a repeater if officially 100 meters. So, 40 should not be a problem. The isseu can be as Bobw333 describes that you are using a cross cable, or if you made te connections yourself, made an error with the connectors.
Regards,
Robert

Robert A.H. Wullems
Sniffer University Instructor
SCM/CNX/MSCA

Hello,

You are probably right. The long cable is a category 5; I just checked it is a straight cable. The short one must be a crossed cable, I'll check it this evening.

Thank you.

W

And what type of cable? There are some specs for that as well.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back