Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Distance Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFI

Programmer
Jun 7, 2000
GB
Hello,

I want to join two LAN's together so that I can share resources/printers/etc. The simplest solution would be to put a router between them (or, in my case, a server 2003 box running NAT...) but they're more than 500 metre apart.

The two networks are on a college campus and there is a fibre link between the two, but getting the local network support team to let me use it is looking unlikely :(

So I had this idea; I put a PC with a high-gain antenna in one network, the same in the other network and then my NAT box somewhere in the middle, with another two high-gain cards in it. I could then set up an ad-hoc network and, ta-da, the networks are joined together :)

If anybody could answer the following, even by way of beard-stroking and sucking breath in through teeth, I'd be very grateful...

1. Would this actually work?

2. High-Gain cards are highly directional, so are they any good for receiving?

3. Would it probably be cheaper to get a pair of industrial-strength yagi antennas and join the networks with them?

4. Can anybody recommend any good, high-gain cards/antennas I can get in the UK?

Any help will be much appreciated - everybody seems to think this is a stupid idea, but I'm fairly sure it'd work...

Paul

Hmmmm,

are these two networks in different subnets? If they are NOT then simply use two wireless bridges with high gain directional antennas.

If they are in different subnets then bridge them anyway and stick your NAT box at one end. The bridged link is just like a long bit of cable.

I do not see any need to put your NAT box in the middle of the link.

Just make sure you have line of sight and remember to calculate the fresnel zones if something is in your way.

Good luck.

Dave.

Here's a few antennas which I'm sure would do the job. I have successfully used a couple of the smaller yagis, but not over the distance you're talking about. As DSRYAN says, you must have line of sight, and check fresnel zones. In other words, get as much height on the antennas at both ends...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

forgot to add the the engenius product above has links to pigtails/cables/antennas right on that page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back