Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long distance Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

1a22ip

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
Has anyone heard of this?
I was instructed to send My long distance taffic to AT&T via dedicated T1's. My Boss says that AT&T will then send it to our NEW LD vendor. I think this is like asking pizza hut to deliver a dominoes pizza. Has anyone done this before.

Just call me Doubting Thomas
Ed

1a2 to ip I seen it all

The term "Pic" means you instruct your local carrier to choose which long distance carrier to use for toll calls. If Verizon currently sends you calls to the ATT network for toll calls, then you would need to instruct your local CO to send the calls to your preferred toll carrier. This is work performed by the CO and not you. You have the capability to override this "pic" by choosing a specific 1010xxx number as well. All of our T1's are Picked using ATT, but we route ou video traffic across the same t1's using the Sprint network using 1010xxx in fron of the video numbers.
Unless ATT is your local carrier, you do not need to contact them to choose a different carrier.
Let me know if you nedd additional clarification.

Just to be safe though, it is always good to contact both your LD carrier and your local line carrier when there is a new service added/changed/removed.

The LD carrier needs to know what lines & circuits to expect LD traffic (have them programmed into their own switch) and the Local Line Carrier needs to know what LD PIC's to put onto the service they provide to you so they can route the calls accordingly.

Only informing one of those parties can create service and billing nightmares. If you are changing from one LD service to another, include the former provider in this loop also so they can close the former account from billing etc. (THEY WILL continue billing service fees if you do not contact them!)

You mention a dedicated T1. Is this AT&T's T1?
Or is it a T1 to you LEC?
If it is going to your LEC all you need to do is change the PIC with them. If it is AT&T's you are most likely being charged by them for having it in place and if you no longer use them for your LD carrier, they may not leave it there or they may charge you a premium price to use it.

Everyone: Yes the T1's are AT&T's. However AT&t will continue to suport our SDN network. I route 7 digit calls to domestic and International offices via these T1's. Now the rub is that these T1's were used to send regular LD traffic as well. Now the Firm has a new LD provider and the higher ups beleve that we do nothing and AT&T will hand over the regular LS traffic to the new Vendor. I think this is not correct. If I were AT&T I would not give business to a rival! Comments anyone

Ed

1a2 to ip I seen it all

First, check your contract for the dedicated T1. Does AT&T say that they and only they can provide the LD?

I have never heard of splitting out a T1-circuit for mulitple LD carriers myself but perhaps someone else has more technical advise for doing that. Can you set up a speed dial for 1010xxx dialing and have the users dial that before a regular LD to have it route through the new LD carrier. All other calls would route through your existing AT&T LD on the AT&T T1.

If the T1 circuit is AT&T's they will not direct it to another LD carrier. You also want to watch out if you have a contract for the circuit there could be a disconnet charge. Who ever you pick they will have to bring in a circuit with a contract.

Everyone: I spoke to new LD carrier and was informed that the PIC they were talking about was on the local carrier. The Boss was wrong and now that I opened my mouth I have ARS changes to do in 6 switches.

I learned my lesson

Ed

1a2 to ip I seen it all

Are you sure you want to make the changes in ARS?
You might be able to do them with changes in the routing patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back