Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Boot time, Start-up Time 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyINP

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2003
US
Guys I need your help,
I will try to explain my problem as much as I can, and what I did so far.

Not a long time ago my Windows XP Pro started to boot very slow.(Windows XP Pro Logo and small blue sq. moving, for arround 2mins maybe more) before it tooks 10-15sec.

I tried Clean the HD, Defreg.,bootvis,no errors in Events log, no 811493.

My system is 2x1.26GHz P3, Gigabyte MB, 60GB HDD, Adaptec SCSI controller.

Any Idea what could be the problem?

Thanks
Ivan

Any USB devices not connected or powered-on?
Any software programs set to auto-update (anti-virus, e.g.) or startup program configured to do a version check for new updates?

Only USB connected is my printer, but it was there before when worked fine.
Same for the NortonAntivirus, It is up to date,but same program was there before.

Bootvis can be used to diagnose your Boot loading sequence besides just optermizing it. Have a look at the options in Bootvis and use the one that produces a graph of how and when drivers and programs are loading.

How is it running once booted?

Another thing you can do to see what is loading is add the switch /SOS to the Boot.ini line.

The /SOS switch can be added to display driver names while they are being loaded during the Windows boot. By default, the OS Loader screen only echos progress dots.

Have you cleaned your prefetch directory? It is usually located in C:\Windows\PreFetch. XP tracks the progams your use and can try to preload options from this directory.

James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

Once is load it is running just great and I cleaned the ph* directory. The strange thing is that first load after bootvis is really fast afterthat is back to slow

Thanks
Ivan

Try bootvis several times with the optomize feature. It will be hard if there is not enough contiguous space on the hard drive for it to defrag your boot programs.

Can anyone comment on this issue relative to Slow Boot and Slow Running of Applications/Programs?

For me it's a recent occurence. Trying to figure out before I wipe the system.

I installed 2 programs recently that I have since uninstalled, and nothing. I tried tweaks last night to minimize things that are set to Automatic -- still nothing.

I have scanned for spyware.
I shouldnt have a virus, but I could get some Virus Scanning software and scan for it anyway.

Other than that, what could be the issue with the machine?

Please respond, and thank you for your time.

Take a look at Task Manager. You should see system idle process of 90% or better. If not take a hard look at what process(es) are using those CPU cycles.
You may find the BlackViper site useful:
Have you done anything to make your desktop fancier in appearance? These can be killers on performance.

You did not mention defragging your hard disk. Do so.

And download and run Bootvis.exe from Microsoft.

I haven't tried Defrag yet.

After boot the only Application running is my Hercules Fortissimo II sound card.

Nothing fancy... I always go very basic (Blue background) with no effects or add-ons -- so not to bog down my machine.

CPU process is nearly 100% (about 95-98%, if memory servers). No spikes in usage in the Task Manager Window on or after boot (I have seen that before in a Win2000 machine a friend had with LOTS of spyware on it).

I will double check the CPU cycles of certain Processes running (that will be tonight when I get home).

I will also defrag tonight.

Have you recently installed 811493 (MS03-013) Package on your machine? Was your machine already service packed (SP1). There is a know issue with that. See
James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

Indur, others:

Some subtle points about speeding up the boot/startup process then.

1. In Explorer, delete everything in c:\windows\prefetch about once a month.
2. Manually launch Outlook or Outlook Express
3. Check for any softwares that "phone home" for version checks or updates. Disable that feature.
4. If you have any TCP/IP connectivity issues, resolve them
5. If you have a firewall, disable it temporarily and see if things change.
6. Update all device drivers. Particularly your NIC and any USB devices.
7. Stay reasonably current on Windows Update hotfixes.

Remove hidden and inactive devices from Device Manager.
Clean your registry. Defrag.
Run Bootvis.

You might find some information here.

You might like to check this site out to see if you have any unrequired services running in the background.

Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease (Q310419)

HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417)

And do get some Anti Virus software, and don't forget about Trojans and Worms too, which can infect your machine. Perhaps a site like this will lead you in that direction.

Hey guys! I think I fixed it. I uninstalled everything that wa a recent program.

I uninstalled and reinstalled my Video Card driver.

Modified Services per suggestions from Black Viper.

Defragged and used BootVis.exe

My last ditch effort before I reinstalled the OS and wiped the HD clean was to flash the BIOS with the latest version for my Asus A7N8X Deluxe.

It seems to be working much better...so far. I guess time, a few reboots, and adding back the softward I uninstalled will tell.

Thanks for all your suggestions! They were all helpful from a smoother running system standpoint.

I will update if something changes.

Report back.

Speedup is an issue that never dies on this and other Forums.

Thanks.

Reporting back...

As you know from the other topic XP 'Hanging' ... the BIOS flash didn't work.

I am wondering now if it is a Hardware issue. More importantly an over heating CPU (currently about 55 Cel./128 Fara.).

Either that, or a failing Hard Drive. Which again, is hard to believe but I know it happens. It's a...
Western Digital 80 GB Caviar drive

THoughts?

Your CPU does sound to hot. If a general compressed air cleaning does not help, investigate with the web the various case modification and over-clocking forums on the Web. There is a tremendous amount of information on how to improve case and CPU cooling, most of it modest in price.

For the Western Digital, go to their Web site and download their diagnostic software. It will create a floppy image to boot from. Do all the diagnostic tests with the exception of the destructive low-level format. There may well be a hard disk issue.

Also see this, as it does help: Chkdsk in Read Only Mode Does not Detect All errors on NTFS Volumes

Indur, your processor is running somewhat hot, but not out of specification (85 degrees C for newer XP CPUs). You mentioned in topic XP 'Hanging' that you had removed the heatsink 2 weeks ago. If your heatsink was using a thermal pad rather than paste, it's not recommended to reinstall the heatsink without first replacing the pad. The following link provides some good video on CPU and heatsink installation, heatsink removal & reuse, and thermal paste vs. thermal pad. The carat symbol causes Tek-Tips software to break the link:

The Asus A7N8X series of motherboards provide dual-channel memory. At boot you should see on-screen both the speed your memory clock is at (166 for a 333MHz FSB or 200 for a 400MHz FSB) and the words Dual Channel mode. Dual-channel mode definitely speeds memory access and provides an overall performance boost.

Have you recently changed hardware and or any BIOS settings?

I have a question about speeding up at bootup. Is there away
when you see the os to pick at bootup to change how fast it
goes such as 20 seconds to 5 seconds???

TIA,

JP

itdude12,

That parameter is easily changed. right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, and you will see the delay setting for startup-options about a third down the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back