Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOM Password unknown 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brs154

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2003
US
Hello,
I am new to Solaris. The problem I am having is with a SunFire V100 running Solaris 8. The server was set up using Telnet via a Win2K terminal. The individual who set it up does not remember the LOM password, so we can not access the OS. I was wondering if there is any way around this. The server has never been used, so there is no risk of data loss. We called Sun and they told us nothing, but that it would be a chargeable service visit. I just want to know if there is any cheap way to fix this.
Thanks

There is a way to get in. Take your installing disk and start just like you are going to load. When it ask what kind of installtion choose update. Then it will ask you for a new password. If that does not work get to the point where you have to assign a root password. Assign the password and reboot.

I am sorry, but I was wrong with my statement. I am stuck at a prompt that reads LOMlite please login: I have tried all default root logins, but none seem to work. The manual doesn't even mention LOMlite.
Thanks

Summary of common LOM commands

#. To get to LOM from when the console is used by the
boot monitor or the OS

console To get return the console to it original state.

environment Display status of system

faulton Turn fault light on

faultoff Turn fault light off

reset Reset system

poweron Turn power on

poweroff Turn power off

show Show all available info

From Solaris LOM can be configured using lomctl. There is a
configuration file /etc/lom.conf.

By default systems with LOM run a watch dog process: tsdog started by
/etc/init.d/tsaldog. /etc/init.d/lomlited starts daemon that reports any
state changes to syslogd.

See also lomctl(1M), lominfo(1M), lomprog(1M), lom(7d), tsdog(1M),
tsctl(1M), tsstate(1M), and tsunlock(1M) man pages
NOTE: I would boot to single user BOOT -s and check the etc files and pound out the init.d/tsadog start file

Thanks for your help,
What I ended up doing was putting a a jumper on the J13 pins in the motherboard (to reset LOM). I then took it off. When we took the jumper off the LomLite login turned into LOM> We could then poweron and reinstall from the cds.

Hi brs154,

I have an identical problem but with a NetraX1. I can't find jumper J13 on the motherboard. I have looked everywhere but no luck. How did you arrive at the solution? Maybe I can use that as a pointer in finding what the equivalent jumper should be on the NetraX1? Also, do you possibly know of anywhere there are pictures showing the location of jumpers on Sun motherboards. Thanks.

Regards,
Tunde Itayemi.

Hi brs154,

I have an identical problem but with a NetraX1. I can't find jumper J13 on the motherboard. I have looked everywhere but no luck. How did you arrive at the solution? Maybe I can use that as a pointer in finding what the equivalent jumper should be on the NetraX1? Also, do you possibly know of anywhere there are pictures showing the location of jumpers on Sun motherboards. Thanks.

Regards,
Tunde Itayemi.

Hi,
To find the LOM jumper, I looked on the underside of the cover. J13 was the corresponding jumper to reset Lights out Management on our server. I would suggest looking at a diagram of your motherboard, and finding a similar jumper. Find a jumper clip, close the jumper for a second, then take the clip off. I, however, only suggest this route if nothing else works. You do risk possible damage to your server when taking this action.

Hi,

There is a 2-pin jumper right next to the SmartCard if one looks at the system from the "back" with the cover off. Would yours (j13) be in around the same position? This jumper has no label - may be the circuitry didnt allow the label to show properly. Thanks. Where do I get a diagram of the motherboard?

Regards

Hi,
It is a 2-pin jumper with no cap. Located in front of the smart-card and between the watch battery and the Ultra slim cooler. There is also a black rectangular chip between it and the battery. See below for order:

Smart Card (Back of Unit)

Below (towards front): Cooling Unit - 2-pin Jumper (j13) - Black Chip - Watch Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back