Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LogonDenied for receive connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrapps

Programmer
Oct 26, 2001
US
I have noticed that I am consistently receiving this event in my event logs and haven't been able to shed any light on it after googling it for a bit. As far as I know, there aren't any symptoms that I can see from this message, but I'd like to make sure this is the case. Here is the message:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchangeTransport
Event Category: SmtpReceive
Event ID: 1035
Date: 1/15/2009
Time: 9:24:38 AM
User: N/A
Computer: EXCHANGE-SERVER
Description:
Inbound authentication failed with error LogonDenied for Receive connector Client EXCHANGE-SERVER. The authentication mechanism is Login. The source IP address of the client who tried to authenticate to Microsoft Exchange is [123.123.123.123].

**The 123.123.123.123 is the global IP address of our Exchange Server.

Is that event happening on the Exchange server? Do you only have the 1 server? Do you only have 1 connector?

Try telnetting to the Exchange server on port 25 and sending an email manually to see what happens.

Check connector (if it is a public connector) is set to allow anonymous.

Yes, this event is happening on the exchange server. We have 1 exchange server. We have two receive connectors. One is for port 25 and the other for port 587. Port 25 is open to anonymous access, while the other is not.

As far as telnetting, I get caught here:
RCPT TO:user@otherdomain.com
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

Is that your domain name? If not, it won't relay unless you have an inbound connector to accept email to otherdomain.com.

No otherdomain is not my domain name. I don't understand. Why do I need an inbound connector to SEND a test email out? I used a valid username for the sending account. Shouldn't the server send out an email to any email address as long as the username that's sending can be validated and the recipient address exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back