Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherrielwy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2003
MY
Hi,

I had create 2 difference user and password to access my database. After i set the password, i realize that i also need to logon to access other database that i didnt set password,why? Can i set the password just for a database that i need but will not affect others database?

cherrie

I'm using Microsoft Window 2000.

cherrie

My work requires me to remember at least half a dozen different passwords for different programs. The last thing that I wanted to do was to create a database that required me, or other users to have to remember another one.

What I have is some code in a database that checks the user's nt login ID against a list of users in the database. This provides a basic user level security with having to remember another password.

It may take a little setting up if your interested.

JEDEL,

I dont understand what u mean. I need to have passworh for a database only,other database that created with microsoft access also no need to have password. My problem is i set a password for one of the database in my computer only, but when i open others databse that i didnt set password before also need me to enter the password,why will this happend? Thank you for ur reply.

Cherrie

cherrielwy

I don't use any MS Access security features So I couldn't help you with this problem. What I can suggest is rather than using the MS Access Security features. Enter the clients into the database with their Windows 2000 login id and get the database to recognise that to let the in.

It is simply an alternative to using Access security.

Cheers

Jedel

Jedel is saying that you can make it easier for people by logging them in to the database without a password by giving them access through their NT Login ID.

That means once they logon to their computers and wish to use the database, they will have access since the database is already setup to recognise them through their LoginID from NT.

KISS - Keep It Simple Sugar!

Let's first answer the original question, then dive into alternates.

1. Access has two TYPES of passwords. One, the database password, is what you were trying (I believe) to use.

Two, the Access/JET security (workgroup) password. This will prompt you for both a username and password before logging in. Unfortunately for Access, it provides the easiest way to do something you're never supposed to do--write over the default workgroup file that you use to access all your databases with. Next time ... well, we'll get to that.

What you need to do is set the password for your Admin user to blank/empty/nothing and it will never prompt you for a password again, on any database.

Now set your *database* password, and give the other person that password. That is my quick, recommended solution.

If you want to delve into the world of Access/JET security, read up on the FAQ first. It is a deep topic for such a seemingly-simple program, but once you master it, it is quite useful:

Microsoft Access Security FAQ:
(This is the Security FAQ for *ALL* version of Access)
(On-Line version of the Security FAQ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back