Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logon to remote workstation with different session 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

qaland

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2005
A2
Could it be to logon to remote workstation in a LAN newtwork with anothor sesstion , so as not to require the current user on the workstaion to logoff and both keep on the same workstation?

thanks

Can you explain for me how ? pls

thanks

use the windows standard remote loggin feature...

you have to enable it on the machine that you want to loggon to.

However, this will sort of hijack the current user, therefore is mainly used as a long range help/diagnosis tool.

If you want independant sessions, you'll have to setup a terminal connection, which creates just a very basic terminal on the remote machine that has extremely limited capabilities, but you can access files, and run certain programs remotely and independant of any current user...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

I'm pretty sure this is only available on XP stations tho.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out - Bill Hicks

yes, native remote desktop software only exsist in xp...

however you can get remote desktop software, usually with a running charge involved, that does the same thing...

I never do remote desktoping myself, at least not anymore, so can't really recommend anything, but there should be lots to google for...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

you are in the windows 2000 server forum.
what is the operating system on the PC you are enquiring about?

Aftertaf

getting quite good at sorting out Windows problems...
An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

Can you please tell how to setup this terminal connection to the remote machine?

If your looking for third party then there's Gencontrol (FREE)

or the excellent Dameware mini remote which is licenced per admin for infinite clients and is pretty cheap.

Neither require you to visit the client PC thats the beauty of these.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out - Bill Hicks

what OS is running on the host machine?

Aftertaf

An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

XP for both host and guest machines

XP will not allow you to have 2 concurrent sessions in that respect... it is not a terminal server like w2k or 2003 server can be...

and for info, there IS an XP forum... ;-)

Aftertaf

Ok, thank you for all your replys
and sorry for my inconvenience thread.

thank you

Well aftertaf, this is really what we were tlaking about it,
i really apreciate your help.

Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back