Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon to my network takes for ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chavito21

Programmer
Mar 26, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

What is the problem with XP and network. I just start to updating some of the users to XP and It just takes for ever to login to the server. Also it seems that when I try to share the C: drive other XP's can see tham. I am just so confussed. I thought Xp would make my life much easier. No such thing.

The C drive is allready shared as C$ (hidden share) for administrative purpose and you can not set permission (share level for this share). You can give the users more rights to the pc and then they could see the share if the went to the right location \\computer_name\C$

On your login are the users roaming or not? Do they have mapped drives, folder redirection, is the tmp files cached to the server etc. All these things if not setup correctly can slow the login down. Also if the users are roaming you might want to disable offline folders on the domain as the XP machines will try to synch all those files on login and off.

hpTC2120 rinning Windows 2000 server. This is my PDC. Then I have three PC where I have the data that I share to all users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back