Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logon server by workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpatrick

Technical User
May 16, 2001
US
I am trying to logon to a Win 2000 server..... part of a domain.. thru a win 2000 pro workstation. As Administrator of course it is not a problem but as a "user" it fails to validate the username and password. The "user" is added to the Active directory on the PDC and locally on the server they are trying to log into. And have rights to the drive and folders that we wish them to see.

The run line has \\server\e$ and when the username box appears it will not take the name and password. I have tried several options and believe it may be a rights issue that someone can assist with.

Thank you..

"$" allows administrative personnel to connect to the root directory of a drive. Shown as A$, B$, C$, D$, and so on. For example, D$ is a shared folder name by which drive D might be accessed by an administrator over the network. Therefore it is an administrative share, not open to general users.

Modify the E: drive so that it is a share and set permissions to those whom you want to access it.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Thanks.... the $ hides the drive but I thought (if given rights) could be accessed by a "user" but anyway have tried sharing specifically for the "user" with a different share name already but to no avail. Cannot figure unless there is a domain setting over riding local settings. But have looked and played with the securities and turned off the domain override as well as some other rules but still no success.

There are two levels of security, the share level and the file level. Even if you give the user share level access, if they don't have file level access, they won't be able to get to anything either, so check both.

Have given the share level as well as the drive, folder and file permissions. Thanks for the response....

What is the event log saying on the server you're trying to connect to?

on the workstation I am using to attempt to log in to the server I just checked the app log, and system log and they both didn't report anything on my failed attempts.

jpatrick

Check the Security log, since it's a security issue.

sorry, the log files on the DC, not the local machine. You're trying to log into a domain, so it's not a local pc issue.

Possibly check the local security policy on the machine. Examine the Local Policy>User Policy> Access this computer from the network - and - Deny access to this computer from the network.

Maybe "everyone" is being denied access, no matter what shares are enabled.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back