Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logon scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterpjz9

Technical User
Nov 12, 2001
US
I will be upgrading from windows 98 workstations to windows 2000 workstations and I want to fix the logon scripts. Right now I have a different one for each group (users, administrators). Is there a way to have there be 1 logon script for every one?

Yes you can either reference the logon script in their profile or have it set in a group policy. The logon.bat goes into sysvol\sysvol\%domain_name%\scripts folder

no...i mean only 1 logon script for every single person...not 30 scripts if you have 30 users

That is what I just said. If you want users to get a logon script it needs to be set in their profile. If you want everyone to get the same logon script you use the same logon script (bat file) for everyone.
If you set it in the Group policy then if set domain wide it affects all users.
You can set up a template and create all users with the same profile path and logon script.

I know how to set up logon scripts, but is there a way to have the logon script map certain shares for admins and certain ones for users. Like the logon script will map Z: if it is an admin, but not if it is a user

You should be able to use if then statements.
Something along the line of
If %username%==administrator THEN map z:\\servername\share
My DOS is pretty rusty but it should work. Hopefully yours is better.
The other way is to have two logon scripts one for all users and a seperate one for the administrator.

Take a look at my second post in the following thread:

thread82-211317

It should get you started on your logon script because it shows you how to do it for groups and single users.

Rgds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back