Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logon scripts??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoy

MIS
Jul 30, 2001
GB
could somebody please offer some advise on logon scripts for users and how to write them as i am quite new to the is section and nt4 server, but wish to progress.
matty.

NT logon scripts are located and run from C:\winnt\system32\Repl\import\scripts folder by default. To create a logon script, navigate to the directory listed above, Click File>New>Text Document, open the new text document and add this line:
NET USE M: \\Your Server Name\Share Name

You will replace "Your Server Name" with the name of your server and "Share Name" with the name of a shared folder that you want users to access. Most common practice for shared data is to create a directory named USERS. Then add a folder named SHARED. Then right-click on the SHARED folder, select properties>Sharing and select share this folder. Replace "Share Name" with SHARED in the above example. Then select File>Save As (name the file logon.bat and CHANGE SAVE AS TYPE: from Text Documents(*.txt) to All Files. Now, for this to work when a user logs onto the server you must assign the script to the user. Do this in User Manager for Domains, double click the user name (you can select multiple users by holding the Ctrl key as you select the users) Click on the Profile button and in the Logon Script Name: box type logon.bat This will run the batch file you just created.

This is a very basic most common logon script for network users.

Does this create a secure directory for each user under their user name?

No...just creating the directories will not provide much security. It is best to place user home drives on an NTFS partition and then place security on them. For example, remove the everyone group and add that user specifically. Also, It is a good idea to creat hidden shares by placing a dollar sign at the end of the share name. For example, \\server1\jsmith$ This way people can't "see" the shares.

But I think your original question was with regards to logon SCRIPTS. I use KIXTART logon scritps. These is a free install. It allows you to create logon scripts very easily for your users. Go to KixTart.org to see exaple scripts and to download the software(very small and free). Kixtart is very common and used by many many companies. It allows you to add logic into you logon scripts.

Hope this helps... Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

I have done exactly what you say I can create the drive mappings only on the Server for directories on my Back up Domain, But when I log on from any of my workstaions which run on Windows 98 I can not have these mappings, What is the problem.[I'm trying to run a script that creates drive mappings.]
Nkabirwa Sowed Magezi
nkabirwa@netscape.net

A Ugandan Developer for

(1) School Management Information System(SMIS) - Foxpro 2.6 ; Ms-Acess 97

(2)Debt onitoring System(DMS) - Ms-Acess 97

(3) The Loans Recovery System(LS) - Ms- Access 97

(4) The Dry Cleaners System(DS) - Ms- Access 97

Are you using a domain logon on the Win98 machines? When you are logged on to the Win98 machine can you get to the logon script in the netlogon share of all your Domain Controllers? If you try to run it manually by double clicking do you get any errors? Can you map the drive to your share manually in explorer and gain access to files?

You have to make sure that the user that logs onto the domain is set to run the logon script. You can configure this through USer Manager for Domains. Double click a user listed and make sure that the Run logon script has a logon script listed.

Also, make sure that the client machine is logging onto the domain. You will have to check the Network properties to check this. Make sure that there is a check mark in the logon to NT domain. Also make sure that the domain name listed is correct.

Also, make sure that the drive that you are trying to map has the proper share and NTFS level permissions. To check this, map the drive manually from the client workstation.

Also, from the client type the following from START -> RUN

\\servername\netlogon

(Change servename to the actual server name of the domain controller)After you type this, an explorer window will show. Double click on the logon scritp *.bat file. See if you get the mappings. (or a better way is to go to the command prompt. MAp a drive to \\servername\netlogon and then run the BAT file.)

Hope some of this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back