Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Scripts runs some of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ama299

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
US
Hi folks,

I have a weird problem.

I have a very basic script that runs when a user logs in. I have NT and Win2000 pro. For a domain user the script will run, but it depends on what computer they logon onto. For and example. A user can logon to one machine, and the script will run, but on a different machine it will not. Then we can take a diffenent user and have them logon to the computer where the script worked for one person, but not the other. There is no rym or reason.
NOTE:The logon script always runs for a person with admin rights, but with a domain users it works for some users, but it depends on what computer. I have been looking at this problem for about 6 mouths. I have not gotten anywhere I have tried so many things.

Any Ideas?
Thanks

Are you running AD or are you still in a Domain structure?

If you are running AD, are you setting the scripts up through the Default Domain Policy or strictly on one server like you used to in NT4 (Netlogon equivelant)? If it is done through the Default Domain Policy then it should run for any users that are not set to block the policy.

If you are running an NT4 domain still, how many domain controlers are you running? The script needs to be replicated to any server that will do authentication, and since authentication is done on first available you may not always authenticate to the same server that the login script is on...(if you are not doing replication that is)

You might want to find out the DC your workstation used to authenticate you run the command line:
echo %logonserver%

What I have is two DC's win2000 server. That command will help me troubleshoot this more to see if it is one of the servers. The script is on both servers.

Thanks

okay using the that command I found out that one of my servers netlogon folder is not working for ONLY my domain Users. Works for admin. It has the same permissions as the other one. except the share permissions for some reason on the one server the share permissions were set to admin only.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back