Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon scripts for NT 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mardawg

MIS
Jul 13, 1999
US
I am trying to implement a time server on my network to syncronize times on all of the pc's. The time server is in place, but I am unable to figure out how to create a logon script that will apply to everyone.

The command line that I am using is:<br>
<br>
net time /set /yes \\Servername<br>
<br>
This seems to work properly when executed. My problem is how to make this script apply to all of my users. Thanks for the suggestion though.

soz, not watching properly!<br>
<br>
Set the script as time.bat or whatever. Put it into the netlogon folder (shared as scripts locally).<br>
<br>
Select all users that need it and change their properties to run that log on script.<br>
<br>
If you need further scripts to fire, run them first then put time.bat as the last line of the previous script.<br>
<br>
Is that what you meant?<br>
<br>
Zel (now kinda paying attention)

Thanks Zel that is exactly what I was needing!!!

Why aren't you using the Time Server Service which comes with the NT Resource Kit? The service runs on a server as a server and on the workstation, it can be configured to check the time periodically. You can also set up secondary servers in case one goes down.<br>
<br>
The one we use calls the BBC every morning (a bit excessive I suppose) and all the machines on the network check the time at boot-up and then keep track of the time every hour.

Tank,<br>
<br>
I am using the timeserver that comes with the NT resource kit. I was trying to create a logon script in order to keep my call center(there is no way my users could get it right) from having to go around to each computer on the network and set the workstation up to syncronize the time. I have successfully done that, and I am happy with the results. I do appreciate your input though.<br>
<br>
By the way the timeserv.exe that comes with the resource kit has an interesting bug that is documented in Tech Net. When you are editing the timeserv.ini file, and you get to the part where you select what the location and method of the connection for the time syncronization, if you choose internet, when you turn on the service it will cause cpu usage to rise to 100% and stay there until the service is stopped(talk about a run on sentence!) Microsoft has posted an update for timeserv.exe that fixes this bug.

we use a GPS on our firewall and the time server service on all domain controllers to get time from GPS. Then we use KIXTART for handling logon scripts. There is a command that will assign the client's time as the server's time.

Use the command &quot; net time \\servername set /yes<br>
<br>
Connect that server either via proxy or by modem to Greenwich clock or whatever your local time keep org is. This way all clients will sync with the server time

This doesn't fully pertain but I wanted to share since that is what we are all here for.<br>
<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> is a great utility to create KIX32 login scripts in a nice GUI interface.<br>
<br>
It works well. Especially if you want to try to keep a single login script while catering to different needs.<br>
<br>
Again sorry for not giving any real answer on topic at hand but you guys are doing so well without me. Hope someone finds the info useful though.

Variations:<br>
<br>
1.To force a server to be the time server (timeserv.exe may do this) go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters Add a key &quot;TimeSource&quot; as type REG_DWORD and set it to 1. After a reboot the workstations can simply do &quot;net time /set /yes&quot; and the will get the time from the designated time source.<br>
<br>
2. &quot;net time /domain /set /yes&quot; will pull the time from the PDC for the current domain. Usseful if you change PDC's.<br>
<br>
3. &quot;net time /domain:&lt;dom-name&gt; /set /yes&quot; will get time from another domain if you have a trust set up.

Just curious... Does Zelandakh's solution work on users who are set up with restricted local user rights? We already have this solution in place here. But, I have found that my restricted users time doesnt change when running the script. For users with standard or admin rights it works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back