Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon script 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxb006

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
US
I'm new to this so forgive for asking a simple question. I'm trying to create a logon script that copy files on a users machine to a network share and will overwrite if the users machine has a newer file. I'm currently using the COPY command. This of course copy's the file ok, but if the file already exists in the network share, it will not overwrite it with a newer version. Please help!

I would use the xcopy or xcopy32 command. It has options to most of the common things. The /d option will copy the file only if it is newer.

Chris

I would use xcopy also. I use it to make a 'backup' to an additional internal harddrive every night as my company won't give me the budget for a tape backup system.

This saves on copy time using the /d option so that it only copies has changed since the previous 'backup'. Jason Wilder
IT/CAD Manager
"When I go, I want to go in my sleep like Grandpa. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

use netcopy or robocopy,
they have been developed to copy files over the network (has built in retry function, ...)

I think you can find those tools in the resource kit... Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Take a look at the KIXTART commands, toy will see a function that will allow this to work.

As peterve said, robocopy is the best way to do this. use the robocopy /mir switch and it will mirror the users machine to the network share by ONLY copying files that are different - it's a most excellent utility...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back