Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon script problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhudson

Technical User
Mar 8, 2001
US
In my attempts to get a simple .bat file to run when my users log onto the win2K server, I have read and done everything posted in TechTips, but to no avail. I placed the .bat file in my C:\winnt\sysvol\sysvol\yourdomainname\scripts folder, gone into the environment of the user's properties and given it the name of the script to run (even adding the location of the file), but still to no avail.

What are some things I might be overlooking? Any "obvious" steps I might be leaving out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Do you have the batch file in the correct folder:

sysvol->policies->you can now choose the folder cooresponding to your group policy its usually a long code like {a-5345-dfg-345345-gdg345--dfg4t3}->users->scripts->logon(or logoff)

place the bat in this folder

in order to find thecorrect policy you need to go to active directory and edit the policies lgonon scripts. The computer will will by default put you in the correct policy folder. Browse that folder (up) until you find the correst code{a-5345-dfg-345345-gdg345--dfg4t3.
Hope this helps!

I've the same issue on 98... 2000 domain, DHCP, DNS all seem fine... GPOs all in order, logon scripts to run synchronously, so complete before desktop access in 2K and XP....... scripts work fine on XP boxes, no run on 98.

Pollux0 hit the nail on the head. My GPO path for logon worked fine for XP, but for 98 had to be in the folder he described. Beauty. Thanks. :-D

How many servers can process logons? New to 2k but old with NT. All servers on the domain must have the script files in the netlogon folder. If a server without the scripts is validating the logon... it won't run. Don't think that cause your client is right next to the primary server it cannot go accross a WAN to logon. Just a thought, trying to figure this stuff out too.

Hi! I have exactly the same prob at work, but only for some computer where the network speed is slower (bottleneck). Maybe there's a timeout for the logon script process? Maybe you can try to plug only your server and your workstation together (directly with a cross-over cable.). Remove the autosense settings for NIC cards (autosense creat virtual trafic on the network).

Good luck.

I am having the same problem.
Trying to get a non-administrative account to process a .bat logon script.

All administrators can logon and have the scripts run, regardless of the OS.

But all users, nothing happens. The HOME directory maps on win2k clients, but no .bat file executes??????

FINALLY!!!!!!!

OK, this is how i fixed my logon probably, hopefully, it will fix yours too!!

In my situation, in my domain admins could execute the scripts, but not the domain users.

when i when into the netlogon folder, c:\winnt\sysvol\domain\scripts\ i had a script named win98logon.bat

this wouldn't run, like i said for users, just admins.

i looked at the security on the properties page for the .bat file. only had (administrators and system)

i added domain users, and the script ran at my next user's logon.

please let me know if this works for you all and if there is any security issues i should be thinking about from the more advanced networkers on this board.

good luck, jason

I had the same exact problem, and when I checked I found my W2K users were NOT logging onto the domain. They were logging onto the local machine and using the resources of the domain. If you click options at the sign on screen, if the domain name isn't there, you won't log onto the domain, therefore, the scripts won't run. I had to make sure the W2K pc's had first joined the domain for the options button to even show up. Then when I logged onto the domain for the first time, the server created a new user - domainname/username. It also lost all of the stuff that had been installed under localmachine/username. If you go into the properties of the pc, go to profiles tab, you can copy the profile from localmachine/username over to domainname/username. This gives you all the programs that were installed under the old account, and when you log onto the domain the scripts should run. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Things are not always as they seem;
the first appearance deceives many."
Phaedrus (15BC - 50AD) Roman poet, short-story writer

i know this probably sounds weird but i had this where they could see the network in NN but the script wouldnt run even though it was in there AD user, I found that all mine was that for some reason the permission had gone on that folder, I reapplied everyone to it and walla worked.

Same issue as Jkarabin just.

Hope you Crack it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back