Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logon script doesn't run on client winxp machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoliang

Programmer
Dec 9, 2003
CN
hi, there

my company has a small size network[40 machines], the server runs win2k server. and clients run win2k professional or winxp, the logon script(contains network drive mapping and so on) runs fine on win2k machines, but doesnt run on winxp machines, the only way to make it run is logging off and logging back on again.

I know the reason is that network connection hasnt been established when the log on script run. but havent find a way to solve this problem.

could anyone please help me with this?

thanks

Hi,

I have same problem lately with my xp clients and kixtart, especially for XP clients that far from our switch.

Thanks,

What type of switch are the clients connected to? I have seen problems with some switches that run Spanning-Tree protocol. For example, on a Cisco switch, set it to portfast.

Thanks,

I use Cisco 2950, Dell 5324, Intel hub.

Leoliang: I don't have problem with XP-SP1. I noticed that only XP machine with SP2, even my PC that connected to dell 5324 (with gigabit connection)and only few feet away from server room has this problem.

1. Did you try disabling spanning tree?
2. Just for fun, try disabling the Windows firewall service and see if it links up quicker. Of course, enable it again later.
3. Another thing - please provide a little more info on the sequence of events. For example, I am assuming that this happens on the XP machines only when they are first powered on? Does this happen to XP machines connected direcly to the hub? Do you have a link light on the switch/nic when you are attempting to log in?
4. Try setting the NIC and the corresponding port on the switch to 100-Full (or whatever you choose) instead of auto-negotiate.

Thanks.

Hi,

for xp you should change the setting on local group policy (or on domain group policy) under administrative templates\system\logon\ and there always wait for the network at computer startup and logon
This causes your pc to reboot less fast, but all the policies and login scipts will be applied.

Is XP firewall enabled on the XP SP2 machines?

Paul

Work on Windows, play on Linux.

Got an update for you... seems a friend of mine had this problem as well (poping up more and more these days) and nothing that has yet been mentioned had worked.

What we found to be the problem was the switch settings. Both the clients and the switch were set to auto detect, and this caused lengthy negotiation times and duplex mismatches. This can be fixed in two ways:

1. Hard code the duplex settings on both the switch and client to be the same.

2. Hard code *ONE* end of the connection to half duplex (I usually set this on the switch, so that laptops not hard coded, but some switches do not have this setting)

This auto detect problem is documented by all mojor switch and NIC vendors.

Lesson: auto detect doesn't.

Another Twist ...

On a related matter - could anyone help me with this. I'll say up-front that I dont know very much about the subtleties of networking !

I have a small network of computers Win2K & Win2K server with a single WinXP(sp2) machine - (these all have intel Gigabit network cards). The context in which these are being used means that very large ammounts of data need to be passed between these machines quickly.

I have just 'upgraded' the network switch from a Dell 2508 (unmanaged) switch to a Dell 5324 (managed) switch - both are Gigabit switches. The upgrade is to enable a larger number of machines to be inter-connected, and to provide support for 'teaming' on the Win2K-server box. Everything works ok when using the 2508 switch.

Following the switch change over, the Win2K machines appear (so far) to work fine (they can communicate with each other and the outside world). However, the xp box is not so happy - although pings to/from it are successful - other things are failing (eg the xp machine cannot establish http connections, with either internal or external machines).

I have only been able to find two ways of making the xp box work as before :

(i) Disable spanning tree on the 5324 switch AND set the connection to 100MB (Full Duplex) ... which defeats the purpose of the upgrade.

(ii) Insert the 2508 switch between the 5324 and the xp machine ... which seems like a hack ... and doesnt provide a long-term fix.

I have checked that :

(i) This isn't an firewall problem - I have disabled them all for testing.

(ii) I have tried setting the 'wait for the network at computer startup' policy - no joy.

(iii) Re fixing the duplex value at one/both ends. As far as I can tell I cant do this at 1000M :
switch - The duplex config menu is disabled at 1000M (although not for eg 100M).
xp box - On the network driver menu, there is no 1000M option - this is obtained using the 'auto detect' value, which doesnt appear to enable you to set the duplex value independently.

(iv) I have tried running the 'network diagnostics' tool under xp 'help and support', this didnt reveal anything obvious - perhaps because it seems to test connectivity with 'pings', which do appear to work.

(v) I have taken a look at the Event Log - there do appear to be more 'Event 4201's than might be expected - but nothing else obvious.

Could anyone give me any suggestions as to what to do ? Dell technical support seem to have gone a bit quiet since I raised this with them. I would appreciate any insignts that anyone might have on how to sort this out !

Thanks,

Andrew Gray

An Update ...

Thanks for your suggestion ... I had checked that all the drivers were up-to-date, ... however I had not checked that the network card itself was.

It turns out that the xp box had an Intel Pro 1000 T server adapter card, which (according to the Intel site) is now a 'legacy' device - so I tried swapping it for a more up-to-date Intel Pro 1000 MT card (with a new set of drivers) - and now everything seems to be ok - as far as I can tell everything is working correctly at 1000M.

Ironically though, when I installed the 1000 T NIC there was no problem, but Windows does complain that the 1000 MT NIC may not be compatible with xp - I suppose time will tell !

I hope someone else may find this useful.

Thanks,

AG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back