Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Screen is Black and Blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

123FakeSt

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2003
After some files were deleted on the 2003 server, the login screen after the OS has been loaded is black, except for a blinking |. You can successfully navigate the screen to log in by tabbing and remembering which line is user, password, domain etc. but i would like to get it back to normal without having to reload Exchange 2003 (which resides on the server.)

Thanks,
Rusty

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You should be able to do a repair of the OS without having to do a complete reload.

1. Insert the Windows 2000 Setup CD into the CD-ROM drive, start the computer, and then press a key to start from the CD-ROM.
2. On the Windows 2000 Setup screen, press ENTER to run the To set up Windows 2000 now, press Enter command.
3. Click Accept to accept the License Agreement.
4. Setup should now detect your installation. NOTE: If the Setup program does not detect a previous installation but just continues to the partitioning screen, there is a problem.
5. When you are prompted to repair the existing Windows 2000 installation, press R. Note that you might lose some of your customized settings for the system files.

When the repair is done be sure to reinstall all service packs and check for Windows Updates.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Won't this mess up my Exchange 2003 installation?

Rusty

To be safe you should certainly do a good backup, but no I do not believe it should mess with your Exchange install. Since you won't be rebuilding the AD schema, all the Exchange mods should be fine.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Oh well ... another Saturday in the server room. I was hoping there was just a .bmp i needed to replace, or perhaps a pointer to it.

Thanks for confirming the inevitable Mark.

Rusty

I have the same problem on two servers. This happened after the hard drive ran out of disk space.

One is an Exchange server.

So, did you try the reload and id it work out OK?

Yeah ... there was really no alternative. It worked fine after doing the installation 'repair' and didn't affect anything else.

We also ran out of space to create the problem.

Rusty B

I have two servers with the exact same problem that occurred under the exact same situation (running out of disk space). I have found nothing on Microsoft's website to acknowledge the problem.

Could you please outline the exact steps neccesary to fix this problem?

Thanks

I found the resolution for this problem in the newsgroups. I tried it and it worked for me. I used Solution #1.

Here is the resolution:

The color schemes in the computer's default profile may have been set to black for every scheme element. Please review the below steps for this may resolve your issue:
On the Windows 2003 Server this can be verified by navigating to the following registry key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors
If this is the issue all colors scheme element registry values will be set to 0.

Compare this with a known good copy below:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors]
"ActiveBorder"="212 208 200"
"ActiveTitle"="0 84 227"
"AppWorkSpace"="128 128 128"
"Background"="0 78 152"
"ButtonAlternateFace"="181 181 181"
"ButtonDkShadow"="113 111 100"
"ButtonFace"="236 233 216"
"ButtonHilight"="255 255 255"
"ButtonLight"="241 239 226"
"ButtonShadow"="172 168 153"
"ButtonText"="0 0 0"
"GradientActiveTitle"="61 149 255"
"GradientInactiveTitle"="157 185 235"
"GrayText"="172 168 153"
"Hilight"="49 106 197"
"HilightText"="255 255 255"
"HotTrackingColor"="0 0 128"
"InactiveBorder"="212 208 200"
"InactiveTitle"="122 150 223"
"InactiveTitleText"="216 228 248"
"InfoText"="0 0 0"
"InfoWindow"="255 255 225"
"Menu"="255 255 255"
"MenuText"="0 0 0"
"Scrollbar"="212 208 200"
"TitleText"="255 255 255"
"Window"="255 255 255"
"WindowFrame"="0 0 0"
"WindowText"="0 0 0"
"MenuHilight"="49 106 197"
"MenuBar"="236 233 216"

There is two ways to fix this problem:

1. Export the registry key from a known good machine into a .REG file.
Import the .REG file into the new machine.

2. You can also construct/copy-paste the following information into a text
file and give it a file name with a .REG extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back