Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logon question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirrom

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
GB
I need to restrict how many times I let a user onto a PC.
Is it feasible to write a batch script that’s run every time a person logs onto a machine and say on login 200 the machine prompts the user for a password.
Maybe using the bios password. They will then have to contact me for the password.
Thanks in advance.

If you are using Win95/Win98 there is no way to track users as the can cancell the windows logon. If you were on a network you may be able to Policies to force a logon but that is all I know of.

How big is your network? Novell restricts logins and a bunch of other things. I actually like it a lot with a 2000/xp/98 for security and print sharing, and it has a file sharing setup in there also.

Thanks for the responses. [2thumbsup]
The machine is not actually on a network.
This is my problem.
I wanted something activated everytime the machine was switched on. Really dont know if it's possible.

Not really possible with win9x anyway - and bios password obviously not tracked/controlled by operating system. Bit of an odd request for a standalone PC - number of times logging on (specially as win9x need rebooting so often).

Only way to really do this. Would be to make the autoexec.bat file call a another little prog to increment a
counter.

Sorry,but have forgotten how to do this in dos, now. Its been so long since the days of dos!! When things where much
more simple!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back