Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Problems after NT4 to Win2k Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maskerade

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
GB
Working with minimal information here:

Presumably upgraded from NT4 Sp6a to Win2k SP2 on NT4 Domain
Person doing upgrade "cleared" some 500 meg from C drive "to make space"

This morning I can't log in with any account, either local or on the domain, not even with Root!

Other than killing the guy and my PC what options do I have?

:->
I failed to mention that the PC responds with "cannot find user" or Domain. It's verey quick so I don't beleiev it is actaully checking.

In addition the PC in question can see the network from DOS

Log into account "administrator". That account will exist. If you cannot get the password to that account, then you need to reinstall win2k from scratch. Sorry.

Also when you logon make sure you log onto the correct area. There should be a Line under the username and Password boxes that either has the domain name or computer name. You will have to select there where to log onto. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Sorry guys, although I didn't mention it directly I did mention I logged on with root - because I am the administrator!

I have tried logging on locally ("this machine") and on the domain.

The error "cant find user or account" comes straight back - it doesn't even seen to look!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back