Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Points gone + won't reinstall after SP4 applied

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyDeRanged

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
GB
All my logon Points uninstalled after applying SP4 and now they will not automatically reinstall. It's trying but there are comments in nt_logon.log about trying to enumerate the servers/shares/service and its retrying and timing out.

I have manually recreated the SMSLOGON directory and share on each domain controller on the drive where I knew it used to be, but still no joy. None of the SMS accounts are locking out or any untoward events being logged in event viewer.

I have the additional problem that I haven't been able to rerun the SP4 upgrade or do a site reset because the setup program "cannot write out the site control file". Evidently there is a sharing violation, even though there is no lock on the file?

Any ideas please?

we had a similiar problem: try unmarking the option for using logon points and after a while mark them again.
in our case sms installed the logon-points again and everything was fine ;)

hope this helps.....

Chris71,

Have managed to reset the site, and have taken off all discovery methods and the logon options, with a view to re-enabling them after the system is in a steady state. Mind you it didn't work last time I tried. I think the problem is going to be these timeouts while trying to enumerate - these are the errors in nt_logon.log

~waiting on SharedDirEnum object in server CMNT01 $$<SMS_NT_LOGON_SERVER_MANAGER>
~waiting on ServiceEnum object in server CMNT01 $$<SMS_NT_LOGON_SERVER_MANAGER>
~Continue waiting on Enum object in server CMNT01 $$<SMS_NT_LOGON_SERVER_MANAGER> [30 of these retry messages, then it might do the first and second line again, followed by another 30 retries]

~Timed out waiting for enumeration to complete in server CMNT01 $$<SMS_NT_LOGON_SERVER_MANAGER>

~waiting on ServerEnum object in domain CMCOMMS $$<SMS_NT_LOGON_SERVER_MANAGER>
~Continue waiting on Enum object in domain CMCOMMS $$<SMS_NT_LOGON_SERVER_MANAGER> [30 tries of this message]
~Timed out waiting for enumeration to complete in domain CMCOMMS
~waiting on ServerEnum object in domain CMCOMMS $$<SMS_NT_LOGON_SERVER_MANAGER> [etc.]

joey, did you stop the wmi-service on the server you are trying to install.
i was not able to install any further until i manually stopped this service (windows management instrumentation)

I did try that once (amongst a whole raft of other services I tried to take out of the equation) but it restarted itself! Thanks, I will make sure I do take it out before running setup/reset again.

At the moment I have used to kill to wipe out smsexec and have sucessfully re-run the SP4 upgrade. Everything has finally gone steady state and I will now reenable logon discovery and client installation to try to get the logon points to install. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe leaving it for a week may sort itself out (as you first suggested), especially if it is an account/permissions issue.

Anyone else got any experience of this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back