Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakehand

MIS
Oct 17, 2002
US
Our SMS is on a W2K member server with the following roles: CAP, Component Server, Distribution Point, Site System, and SQL Server. Yes, SQL is on the SMS server.
I've turned on Windows Networking Logon Discovery and Network Discovery to discover our clients. The majority of them were discovered. When I tried to run "smsman" on clients to manually install SMS client software, it said, "Unable to find a SMS server". It seems that the logon point on the DC is not cooperating.
One thing I noticed is that under Site Hierarchy/Site System, I don't see our DC name as the logon point. If I am not mistaken, the DC is supposed to be the logon point when I configured the site/domain on the SMS.
So...
(1) Is there anyway to verify that the DC is acting as the logon point for our SMS clients

(2) Any method to manually install or configure the DC or to run a program/agent to make the DC the logon point

...so that I won't have the above error when I install client software on undiscovered clients??

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Rod, I tried your tip. Created accordingly but the logon pint was not created. When I checked NT_LOG_ON_SERVER_MANAGER, the error message said, "...could not create SMSLOGON because of insufficient space on domain controllers". It also said it needed at least 50 Mg to create the directory. The error message provides a workaround: to create the SMSLOGON directory manually to work around the space limit. We have 2 DC's and they both have more than 2 GIG space available. Anyway, I went ahead and created the folder and gave Full Control to SMSService and my all-powerful administrator-equivalent account (my login account to the SMS server).
Yet the NT_LOG_ON_SERVER_MANAGER gave me this error:

"SMS NT Logon Server Manager could not create the share "SMSLOGON" on domain controller "%PDC servername%" for domain "%domainname%" because the share already exists and it was not created by SMS."

Looks like I am in a loop: system doesn't create the directory on its own and suggest to do it manuall, but doesn't like it when I do manually.

Further help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Rod.

Does the DC have an SMSLogon share ? If so then it would suggest that the SMS site server has installed the DC as a logon point. Also, is the DC subnet within the ip boundaries specified for the site ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back