Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Parameter Problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

REENI

Technical User
Jul 4, 2001
GB
Hello all,

I have a serious problem that I have been trying to sort out for months and have visited many forums for an answer..

I created a report using SQL OBDC.
I've setup a OBDC on my machine to point to the data files on the server.
i have two parameter fields to enter start and end Dates
I have used the Distributed Report method to create an EXe file.
I create an OBDC (on the machine without Crystal) to point to the same datafiles on the server.

Problems arises when:

I try to move the report to a machine that does not have Crystal installed.

I'm getting LOGON PARAMETER screen which are asking for a logon name and a password to the server that my data files are stored on.

Has anyone come across this problem as I do believe someone out there must be moving reports to for e.g Client sites and coming across the same problems?

Look forward to hearing from the Crystal Hero..

Reeni

This usually means that CR is having a problem reading the database. Asking for a username and password is a default response.

First, double check that you have all of the appropriate permissions for the network, directory path, database, etc. Your databse does not require a password?

Then double check that the ODBC connection is set up correctly and uses the same DSN Name.

Last, I have heard that some reports hold onto some old connection info after they are moved. In other words, the path may be different in the DSN on the target PC, but the report is trying to follow the old path to the table or use the User Name of the person designing the report.

What database platform are reading with your report? Ken Hamady
On-site custom Crystal Reports Training and Consulting.
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB.

I'm using Goldmine (DBASE) Does this help in anyway?

You have Goldmine Dbase, and are using ODBC? You are sure this isn't Goldmine SQL Server?
Ken Hamady

Ken,

I'm definitely not using SQL SERVER ..it's goldmine DBASE!!

Reeni

I believe you, I just haven't seen anyone read Goldmine Dbase files using ODBC. What version of Goldmine?

I will be teaching a CR advanced class at a Goldmine reseller tomorrow, and will ask them if they have run into this problem.

If the goldmine files were in the same place on both design and target PC's would it work then? That will tell us it is the path change causing the problem.

Ken Hamady

hi,
i'm also have the same problem like reeni, but i'm using Informix (database). when i try to call the report using internet explorer, the logon screen is appear. can we automatically logon to the database?. ho to do this?.

thanks in advance. You help is very very appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back