Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Message. Can't Logon to my computer. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheITProfessional

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
US
The message states: The local policy of this system does not permit you to log on interactively.

No users can logon, not even the admin...

I'm Using windows 2000 Pro.

How can I go around the problem. or logon and change the setting. (or something to that effect)

Is the machine networked? If it is, but in a workgroup, you could try running mmc on a connected 2k or xp machine, and add Group Policy snap-in for the problem machine. You could then change the policy which is denying local logon.

This is 2000proitguy. (I Posed The thread)

NONE of my users can logon, they all get the same message.

If you do not get the thread I posted, let me know.

Hi,

Did you ever get your issue resolved? I am unable to log on to my workstations at 2 libraries, getting the same message you got. Thing is, I was not trying to log on interactively, just logon to the public profile. I understand that this is unusual for a workstation to throw this message. Trust me to have an unusual one.

I was able to log on to the administrator ok, until I tried to fix the logon error. Now I can still log on but the administrator is locked out of everything too--such as drives, programs, etc.

Answers? Help?

TechLady

What do you mean by 'logon to the public profile'? (when this is not logging on interactively) - just accessing a share on the target machine?

Don't really understand why you're getting 'The local policy of this system does not permit you to log on interactively', if you're not logging on interactively!

As I mentioned in answer to 2000proitguy, there is a Group policy setting which can prevent logging on locally (for specific users, groups) & another to prevent access over the network (in fact, there are negative & positive versions of both - allow & deny for specific groups/users). Who administers these machines (apart from you)? Are they in a domain or a workgroup. If domain, has anyone changed the doamin group policies on the server (these override local ones).

Computer Configuration|Windows Settings|Security Settings|User right assignment is where you want to be in local group policy (run gpedit.msc).

Hi,

Yes, and no. I did resolve my problem, but I had to reinstall windows.

Techlady, if you can logon to some one else (Another Admin.) you might be able to fix you problem.I’ve hade this problem before wile trying to do the same thing and hade the same problem but i called the my it department and told them to rest my profile, that is how i sold my problem, I hope this is help to you, if this dose not work then i would call the place that has my profile and have them reset it. Good Luck With your Problem.

Sincerely,
THE I.T. GUY

[pc3]

I am also having this same problem with one of our workstations running on a network with a NT4.0 domain controller.

I cannot logon locally using the local admin account, or with any of my domain admin accounts without getting the same error message: "local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively".

I would like to be able to fix without having to do a complete restore and rebuild.

Any suggestions?

dd

In general, none of the Domain users have the right to a local console logon. If, as became popular, you "locked down" the workstations by removing the local Administrator local logon right, or alternatively denied the right, in the machine's local security policy the machine can only logon to the domain.

Two possible remedies without asserting ownership of c:\winnt\system32\Group Policy and overwriting the files found there:

Err Msg: The Local Policy of This System Does Not Permit You to Logon Interactively

Error Message: The Local Policy of This System Does Not Permit You to Logon Interactively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back