Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Legal Notice for Fedora 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

southside

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
GB
Hi All,

Can anybody please advise how I can configure a Legal Notice advising against Computer Misuse that will display as soon as a user logs on. I am looking at something that will not complete a log-on if it is not accepted.

Adrian

There are a few ways... First, there is the file /etc/motd which is diplayed when a console window/telnet/ssh session is started. This means all your terminal windows will probably get them too. If everyone is using SSH to logon to a central server, it's as simple as adding a banner to /etc/sshd_config:
Code:
Banner /etc/notice

Our /etc/notice:
Code:
* This computer system is for auth-    *
* orized users only. All activity is   *
* logged and regulary checked by       *
* systems personal. Individuals using  *
* this system without authority or in  *
* excess of their authority are subject*
* to having all their services revoked.*
* Any illegal services run by user or  *
* attempts to take down this server or *
* its services will be reported to law *
* enforcement, and said user will be   *
* punished to the full extent of the   *
* law. Anyone using this system con-   *
* sents to these terms.                *

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Thanks....that info will be useful on some servers.

Is there something that can appear during a graphical login - such as a banner that will need to be acknowledge when a user logs in. We have some servers that are not ssh'd or telnetted to, just local user access but we need the Login Security Banner/discalimer info for the login.

The background for the logon screen can be changed. You could add a message that "logging in to this computer indicates you have read and agree to all the rules of the company (and will but donuts for the IT staff on Friday)

Try
kdialog --title "Company" --msgbox "Blah Blah"

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

Code:
kdialog --title "Company" --msgbox "Blah Blah"
Requires KDE... If you don't have KDE, you could make it so that a terminal is open on login, and the message displayed...

xterm -hold -e echo "message"

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Thanks Guys.......I'll try these out. I am running KDe so that's a big advantage.

This is what I do for the DOD. In your /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 file add the following line after the /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot command

xmessage -center -file /etc/login.banner

I have the government official warning banner in the /etc/login.banner file.

I do not ask for compliance with a yes or no but instead offer an ok button at which point login continues. If you want them to answer yes or no do something like the following on the above line.

xmessage -center -file /etc/login.banner -buttons yes:0, no,1

Then you will have to add some logic after to verify there answer before proceeding with the rest of the login. If this part does not work at first please read the man page on xmessage as I am not in front of a Linux box at the moment. For me, just displaying the message and forcing a user to click ok is enough to ensure non-repudiation as required by the govt.

Also a symlink such as ln -s /etc/login.banner /etc/motd will take care of the telnet, ssh (post authentication) and console users.

Hope this helps
war...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back