Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon in NT Server Without entering a password. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

un42nateu

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2002
ZA
Hi all. My question is simple. I'd like to know whether it is possible to have my nt server logon automatically using the administrator account and how?

To enable automatic logons, you will need to make 4 changes to the registry under HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows Nt\Current Version\Winlogon. These are:

1. Set the DefaultDomainName to the name of the domain you want to logon from. Instead of a domain name you could specify the name of the machine.
2. Set DefaultUserName to the account you want to use when logging on. In this case administrator.
3. Add a Reg_SZ name AutoAdminLogon and set its value to 1.
4. Add a Reg_SZ named DefaultPassword and set ists contents to the password for the account you are using.

However there are several problems with doing this.

Once you have made these changes, the next time you reboot the machine, it will automatically logon with the account you specified.

- you should not use the administrator account wherever possible. In most cases the recommendation is to rename the adminsitrator account, and create another account which has administrator privelages. The reason for this is that a "hacker" will often try to exploit the administrator account when trying to gain access to the system.

- the password is in plain text. If anybody gets access to your registry, they will be able to see this password

thank you guys, i'm testing it tonight. your responses are right as i have received the same information from different sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back