Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tippmann

MIS
Jul 2, 2002
US
I am having problems with one XP Pro workstation connecting to a 2000 only domain. I can conncect to the mail server, but when I try and connect to the file server I get the following error.
========================================================

\\servername is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact your administrator.

Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect
=========================================================

This only happens on the one WIN XP Pro workstation.
1. I have tried to login as adim of domain - same
2. I have tried to removing the PC from domain changed the name of the PC and added it back in with different name

Nothing has yet to work.... Any ideas?????

Thanks in advanced

I found out I can get there if I seach with the IP address????

It only happens on 1 out of 85 computers?????

You have duplicate computer names. Be careful as the other computer could be in a child domain. The other computer is located in the parent domain. To resolve this issue, change the computer's name, or delete the machine account on the parent domain.

Tried that in step 2. on the first post.... Still no luck?

If I had duplicate cumputer names, wouldn't it have problems with both computers???

You might have duplicate SIDs. Are you using the licensed copy of XP on a different machine in the Domain at the same time?

You need to create a unique SID.

You also need to remove the machine account name for the computer and not just its AD entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back