Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Failure trying to run batch file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfnet

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2003
GB
I have a Windows 2000 server install, and when I rebotted earlier, it started refusing batch file access. I would click the batch and it would pop up and disappear immediately. When I tried to run from the command prompt it came up Logon Failure : Unkown User or Bad Password

I am logged in as administrator.

I tried to run a copy command from the cmd prompt and got the same error.

If I log on with my personal user (I have admion rights) I can run the batch file.

What setting have I managed to change??

when you log on as administrator are you logging on locally or on to the domain?

MCP

Locally. At present it is a workgroup member only. I did a reboot and after that it stopped working, but prior to the reboot it was fine

Sounds like your admin acount has gone bad. Since you have another account with Admin rights, Rename and Disable the original admin account. Then create a new account with Admin rights and you should be OK.

I suggest renaming the old account so you still have the ID with matching SID in case you ever run into any strange file ownership issues.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks, I'll try that Monday and let you know

I tried that idea. I renamed the Administrator account adminold, and created a new Administrator account, and the same error ocurred when I tried to run a batch file, The command line also brought up the error.

Ouch!

OK, make sure first off that this isn't a simple permissions issue. Verify that the Admin account has NTFS rights tot he file and whatever directories the bat file is changing.

If that isn't the problem, I would suggest you reset the default security permissions on this computer. You can do that by reimporting and applying the securews (secure workstation) template.

To do that, click Start, Run. Type MMC and click OK.
Click File, Add/Remove Snap-In.
Add the two Security Snap-Ins (templates and Security Config & Analysis).

Verify that the default settings in SecureWs fit your needs. Make changes where necessary and save the template (right click option).

Click on the Security Config & Analysis snap-in. Follow the onscreen directions for creating a new database. Right click Security Config & Analysis and choose Import Template.

Right click Security Config & Analysis and choose Configure Computer Now.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back