Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Failure: Account currently disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmIdiot

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2001
US
A weird thing happens to some of my accounts. I will be in the system, my network drives are mapped and I am able to use them. Than out of no where when I try to access the share, it gives me the error Logon Failure: Account currently disabled. If I reboot, the problem still exists. Than maybe a few hours later it will work. It does not follow any certain patterns. I can still log onto other servers, just the one w2k server says the account is currently disabled Has anyone seen this problem, any ideas?

I found article Q263936, but that did not help. They are W2K workstations, logging into a single W2K domain. Just to give you some more information.

Are the accounts set to expire?

Are there stand alone servers sharing data? or is everthing part of the domain?

Any Novell machines... Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

The accounts are not setup to expire:

The servers are part of a domain.

No Novell.

It is very weird. It is almost like a browsing issue. One minute I can't get to the folder it gives me the Logon Failure: Account currently disabled messaage and than 20 minutes later it may be working. I will have another computer sitting right next and try to access the same share, and is working fine. But than maybe an hour later that computer gets the same error. I am in a total W2K enviroment. I have found a number of things that may look like they help but none seem to be exactly what I am looking for. And like I said, the problem only seems to be effecting the one server, I am still able to get into my other W2K server which is in the same Domain. thanks for any info you can give.

Yeah its a tough one. Here's a couple questions that might help us narrow the problem down:

1) Are there any event viewer error on the "problematic" server?

2) Are there any errors on the clients in Event Viewer?

3) I wonder if it is a name resolution problem. How are the "problematic" servers TCP/IP settings configured. Make sure that it is pointing to a DNS servers in the same domain...and no other DNS servers. Are you using WINS at all?

4) What other services are running on the "problematic" server? DNS,DHCP, PRINTING...or is this just a file server?

5) Do you have a firewall between the client and the server? Does the client have a personal firewall?

6) Are these systems on the same subnet? or are they in a routed environment?

7) How does this server differ from any of the other servers in your environment?

I guess we shouldn't go any further until we get some feedback here...

-Hope some of this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

hi,
I had somethink like that.
open your event viewer and open the application one. see if you get error with source "userenv" .
if so see the id number and go to Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

hi,
go to users panel and check the logon hours tab.May be by mistake its been set to random hours(time)

as u know logon hours can be restricted in NT/2000...it may be that something is clicked there.

tell me if it helps..

pankaj@dvlp.com

1) Are there any event viewer error on the "problematic" server?

***The Server Event viewer is totally clean.

2) Are there any errors on the clients in Event Viewer?

****There are no real errors on the server. Once I get the Logon Failure: Account currently disabled error and I try and reboot I will errors, but it is basically because i can't get to resources on the network.

3) I wonder if it is a name resolution problem. How are the "problematic" servers TCP/IP settings configured. Make sure that it is pointing to a DNS servers in the same domain...and no other DNS servers. Are you using WINS at all?

****The server is running DNS and it is pointing to itself. We are not running WINS

4) What other services are running on the "problematic" server? DNS,DHCP, PRINTING...or is this just a file server?

****The Server is a W2K DC, it also hase Exchange 2000 running on it, as well as DHCP, DNS, and printing. It is a workhorse. However currently only about 5 people connect to it. And of course it is also a file server.

5) Do you have a firewall between the client and the server? Does the client have a personal firewall?

****No firewalls between.

6) Are these systems on the same subnet? or are they in a routed environment?

***Same Subnet

7) How does this server differ from any of the other servers in your environment?

****Servers are basically the smae, only difference is the one server is the "problem" server has Exchange 2000. But jsut to add to things, the problem server is in the same office as the the the computers that are having trouble getting to it. Even when I am having problems getting to the server in my office, I have no problems accessing a server 2000 miles away.

Some added information. I have kind of been able to replicate the problem. I log on, things are working fine. But if I try to copy a large amount of information up to the server or down from the server I get that error. And like I said early, it will just start working again after any random amount of time. I will continue to test this and let you know if I get anymore similar results.

Also, even though I get the Logon Failure: Account currently disabled error when I try to click on my mapped driver, I can still map to \\servername\c$ and make a connection, however when I try to click on a folder, I get the error Logon Failure: Account currently disabled. Very Weird. Any feedback would be great!!!!!

Thanks for all the help!!

To add some more information, One I get the Logon Failure: Account currently disabled, if I goto a different computer and log on as the same person, I also cannot access resouces on the server. And to answer pankajkrroy's question, under AD, I have checked and users are able to log in ALL day.

Are you using OU's? Are all of the users that are having these problems in the same OU? If so check your GPO's.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back