Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingduck

MIS
Oct 31, 2002
EG
Hi all;
I have a small lan ,30 PC's, with windows 2000 server and win95 and win98 clients. Some PC's when the user logon an error message , Wrong Domain password or logon to the domain server is denied. I change the password of the user and try to logon again the same message appeare until one time the user successfully logs on with no changes in the client configuration.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

NIC card problem. I have the same problem. I replace NIC card and it worked.

Does it help to obtain the latest driver for the NIC, Or even downloading the latest service pack for windows 2000 server?
Thanks very much

Set up an monitor for the server and check for bad broadcasts going out or coming in. My guess is the servers nic is going bad. I had the exact same problem ato said. Don't worry about drivers, just replace the nic. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"Uniformity is death, diversity is life."
Mikhail A. Bakunin (1814-1876); Russian writer and revolutionary.

If none of those seem to work, make sure you check to see if you DC is running as a PDC Emulator, win95/98 machines require a PDC for logon, so this may be an issue...

Good Luck
Chance~

It is an option (and default installed) on all Domain Controllers and automatically started if you ran DCPromo to build your DC.

To see and make sure it is working, choose Active Directory Users and Computers, right click on the domain and choose Properties (this is from memory since I am not on a DC right now so correct me if I am wrong in the location here). Here you will see the 3 default install services required for all DC (RID, PDC Emulator, and Infrastructure) Make sure that the PDC is enabled and there is nothing abnormal going on.

Good Luck bro...
Chance~

Also, to add . . . your not running this Windows2k Domain in Native mode are you? Win9X machines cannot log on to a Domain that is in Native mode . . . must be in mixed mode (Mixed mode = winNT and Win2k authorized DC within the Domain, also allows win9X machines to log on | Native mode = Win2k DC ONLY, Win9x machines will not be able to log on).

Here is the catch tho' If you do find it is in Native mode you have 2 choices . . . rebuild your domain controller(s) or upgrade your Win9x systems to WinNT or Win2k... You cannot go back to mixed mode once you have switched to native mode.

Good Luck!
Chance~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back