Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon discovery method...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagoat

Technical User
Apr 11, 2002
CA
I setup a SMS site with 400 clients and originaly had logon discovery enabled and modify logon scripts enabled. Now I'd like to keep the logon scripts as they are with the call smsls.bat in them except for a few scripts that do not require this. What i've done is made copy of the scripts and disabled modify logon scripts. I waited for SMS to make it's changes to the scripts and then copied my old scripts back in but after about an hour SMS has modified these as well and taken out the call smsls.bat.
Is there a way to keep SMS from making these changes? The main reason is that I want this is to keep logon scripts away from some key accounts such as Admin accounts but still would like to use the logon discovery method. Even if I edit the scripts manually by adding call smsls.bat SMS still deletes it. Has anybody tried something similar to this.

dagoat,

You can enable windows networking client install and keep logon points syncronized, but leave the modify logon script unchecked. This will also effect discovery method. You can then call SMSLS

That is exactly what i've done and SMS still comes around changes the scripts on the DC. Even if I manually add the call line to the script.

You can change the smsls.bat so that it checks for a specified criteria before continuing. try IFMEMBER from NTRESKIT to filter by group membership or something more elaborate using Windows Scripting to check if the machine is a server, for example.
I use this in my company and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back