Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon and them immediate logoff ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

geno368

Technical User
Jan 19, 2009
I am trying to boot up a PC that allows me to log on and then I get a brief(1 sec) desktop background and then goes straight to logoff. It's running XP Prof and I went to recovery console and did a chkdsk /r and it said it fixed 1 or more errors. I ran it again and it was clean. It still won't work even in safe mode. How can I fix this?
Thanks

I had something like this happen when users got viruses on their computers. Logon and then immediate logoff.

I think I could still log on as administrator in Safe mode, though.

I had the same problem and had to expand the userinit.exe file from my XP disc to c:\windows\system32.

Some things for you to look at.

Logon - Logoff loop, also caused by BlazeFind

Thread779-924408

logs you on loads personal settings then logs you off?
Thread779-919265

A second reason can be security policy settings:
Fast User Switching and Welcome Screen in Windows XP

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Removing adware & spyware
FAQ608-4650

Remote to it from another machine, create another user and log on as that new user.

Thanks for all the replies..I will report back after following the links..I did not clone the drive..I am sure it is the virus mentioned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back