Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logoff Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtstangman35

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2002
US
Good Evening,

I am in the process of writing a logoff script that utilizes the shitdown.exe that comes with the win2000 resource kit. I want to do put this script in the users logoff area in the group policy so when the users log off they're computer automatically reboots. When I do this, the script works great, but only AFTER the user logs off and back on again. When the log off the second time, the policy seems to take effect. Is there a way to apply a logoff script without having to have the users log off and then on and then off again? These seems to kind of defeat the purpose of a logoff script that shuts down the computer via a script doesn't it?

Did you test this soon after you applied the group policy? Machines and users check in within a randomized timeframe for group policy updates, so maybe the logoff script setting wasn't yet applied.

I did test this within a few minutes after I applied it. If I make a Group Policy in the logoff area where it looks at a .exe, I read somewhere that the default for a group policy being applied is 90 minutes with a random offset of 30 minutes, is this the case? And if so, if I put the user setting/logoff script in in the morning (say 8:00) for everyone, and they all logged off at say 4:30, to me that says that would NOT have to log off and back on and then off again -- is my thinking correct?

Thanks,
Wes H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back