Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logo - Vector - Confused. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephmaya

Technical User
Nov 18, 2003
CA
Hi there,

I was provided a logo created in photoshop saved as a psd file. It was also provided to me in a high res "vector" jpg (200 dpi). I thought that if you created a logo in photoshop that it is rasterized image. Am I missing something? How is it a vector image? It looks very clear, however, will it print okay? Is it really a vector?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Stephanie

There is no such thing as a vector JPG unless you see paths embedded in the file in Photoshop's paths palette. To make use of these paths (if they exist), you should export them to AI format (File>Export Paths) and then edit in Illustrator.

The PSD file may contain vector shapes and text. If so, you can export the file as PDF and print from Acrobat or place in InDesign. You may also print the PSD directly from Photoshop. No other format from Photoshop will allow vector export that can be used in other applications.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

I don't see any paths.

If the PSD file contains vector shapes and tex, why wouldn't it have been created in Illustrator in the first place? What is the advantage of doing it in Photoshop?

The advantage would only be apparent if the designer did not have Illustrator. Photoshop can be used for vector design but it is infinitely easier to design vector art in a program like Illustrator.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back