Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logo in web address bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thereink

Technical User
Jul 18, 2003
US
hey all,

i'm not even sure that this question belongs here, but i'll give it a go: how do you put a logo (avatar?) before the site address in the web navigation bar? for example, craigslist has a purple peace sign before their address; this site (tek-tips) features the red T image; google has the squared G logo, et cetera. is that something that can be simply added in dreamweaver or is it a very complicated process? and yes - i've already created a logo in photoshop that could be quickly adapted to fit any space or profile.

thanks so much & have a great night.

kevo

Just add this in your <head> section:
Code:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"/>
Name your icon file as favicon.ico and make sure it's in your root folder on the server, and that it is a real icon file.

(You could also have discovered this by looking at the source for this page!)

Yep Johns got it.

If you need some software for changing jpg into .ico files do a quick google search for an .ico converter.

Having the .ico in your webroot will also ensure it gets displayed in the list of favourites when someone bookmarks the site.

Rob

Thanks guys... I really do appreciate the help, and yes - I was a bit hasty in posting before I read thru many of the previous threads. I'll give it a go.

Have a great day!

Kevin

can't beat:
:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

[URL unfurl="true"]http://mostarnet.com[/url]

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor