Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loging off of a Netware 4.11 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshew

MIS
Jun 3, 1999
US
We seem to have a user that will be going through her e-mail and she will logoff one of the 2 servers she is connected to. She does not disconnect from the network. We can still ping her. She is still mapped to the second server and can access data from the second server just as if nothing happened. She loses all mappings to the server she logs her off. We have swapped computers 3 times. We have swapped cables at the switch and workstation level. We have sniffed it and all it shows is that it is a logoff request packet to the server. It is not wachdog logging her off. I already tested this. Anyone have an idea. She is running Windows 95.<br>
<br>
Thanks <br>
Chris

Are both servers version 4.11? Are they in the same tree? What client version are you using? Does it always happen when the user is reading her email? What is the email program?<br>
<br>
Sorry for all the questions but they all may have a direct implication in the problem.

Yes both servers are 4.11. They are in the same tree, but in different ou's. It's the 32 bit client. I am not sure the exact version, but it is the same on on all of our computers. I don't think it actually happens when she reads her e-mail. I believe the 8207 file I/O error is caused by her being logged off of the server loosing her drive mappings. Groupwise 4.1a needs the drive mapped to the server to find her post office. When it can't it gets the file I/O error. There is nothing loaded special on this computer that is not installed on any other computer in the same part of the tree. She is the only one getting kicked off. She is running Windows 95 and has Office 97 installed. She has a dos program running, but it happens when this is up or down. Many other people are also running this dos program as well. Any other info you need let me know.<br>
<br>
Thanks for your help<br>
Chris

We have a similar problem in our shop. we are also running 4.11 and Win95 OSR2.5 with client 32 2.5 & 3.1. We have seen this problem since we upgraded past NDS 7.99 with patch 5. We have been in contact with Novell and it is a known problem with Client 32 2.5-3.1 with servers in different OU. The problem lies that the client, from what Novell said, has a hard time walking the NDS tree to find resources. This problem will affect any drive mappings and printer captures. The problem is that it doesn't show up all the time. We can't re-create the problem all time, and sometimes it only will effect a single user. Novell said that the problem is being researched and hoped to be fixed in the next client release. You have two options, back the client down to 2.2 would be the simplest. If you are using ZENworks this is not a option. What we have done is to upgrade our GroupWise to 5.5. It uses IP to connect to the mailbox and does not need a drive map. <br>
<br>
Hope this helps,<br>
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back